Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

responsibility of the institution

I believe the responsibility should be a "team effort". I sometimes find people like to pass the blame solely on the instructors, and this just isn't the case.

You're right, Cynthia. Blame cannot be placed solely on any one part of the organization. What three actions do you plan to take in the next 30 days to help people in your organization understand that?

I agree that retention needs to be a team project. I think that different departments have different goals and until all departments meet together on a regular basis to discuss this issue, the "blame" game will continue. Admissions, Financial Aid, Employment Assistance and the front office all need to work together instead of adopting the attitude "I did MY part".

As a teacher, I can do only so much in the time that I have with the students; and instruction is my main goal. I can encourage and cajole, but students also need to own their problems and learn to address them in a constructive manner.

On point, Cathe. Do you have any specific actions planned for the next month to help students understand their responsibilities?

I agree. The administrative staff sees the student quite a bit at the beginning of the process. However, after a student begins classes the instructor sees the student every day. As the instructors sees potential problems there should be a discussion among key personnel, directors, counselors, etc. Once a situation has been brought to the fore then the team effort can begin by appropiate staff supporting the instructors efforts to reach the student and refocus the students attention on their educational goals.

A good plan, Teresa. What can you do to bring it to fruition?

You are absolutely right Cynthia. It is truly everyone's responsibility to keep students in school, not just the instructor. At our campuses, we have students meet with the Instructor to discuss grades as they are posted and then the student meets with the Dean of Students on a quarterly basis to discuss overall progress and well-being. We also employ the use of surveys to gain feed-back from the student on different issues.

I would be very interested in hearing what other methods are being used by schools to help the student communicate fears and/or problems.

I hope that ours will respond to your request, Linda. I have found that providing a confidential way to request non-confrontational, non-judgmental help is important to students. This goes back to your entry about web or email access in Forum 3.

What do you do with the survey results? Do you share them with the Instructor? Do students see the summary results? Do the results impact performance reviews?

I agree. The student must be satisfied with school, the curriculum, the policies, the enviroment, and the staff. All the responsibilty should not fall on the instructor.

What specific steps will you take within the next 30 days to improve student satisfaction, Audrey?

I will be more aware of the students feelings and their concerns about the program. Just this week, I had two students who came to me and told me they were thinking about dropping the program and I told them that I felt very overwhelmed also when I was in school between work, school, and family but I was so glad that I stayed with it. After talking to them, they agreed to stay in school.

I agree Cynthia. Students will be more comfortable if they know they have the support of not just the faculty but the entire school.

What do you plan to do to assure that students feel that they have the support of the faculty and the entire school, Crystal?

In order for the student to feel they are getting what they need from our institution, they need to feel we care. I need to explain to my students that one of my main priorities os not just the students, it's the patients they will someday be taking care of in the field. They need to know that I care about the pt. also. By doing so, I encourage the student to be the best they can be not just for them but for every pt out there that will depend on them to care.

I strongly agree Cynthia. the students and staff need to work as a team to help the students as well as staff make the whole process of learning a good one.

I agree I feel that we should all come together to help the students in order to retain them.

What specific things do you plan to do in the next 30 days to bring people together, Stephanie?

Retention should be everyone's job and all levels of administration need to be supportive.
For example; when I stumbled upon this course I showed it to my director. She was very enthusiastic and asked me to take this to get some new ideas. Our Upper Administration is very supportive of my job working with Students on Academic Warning and Probation. They have extended my contract from part time status to full time in the coming year.
We already have some of the ideas in place and just need to grow them to be more student accessible. We currently have a tutoring program and have begun a new mentoring program. We have just piloted a new Supplemental Instruction Program and hope to have more classes using this in the fall. Several new ideas that I have picked up on and hope to see implemented in the new academic year would include the use of the Grad max program to allow student interaction on the computer. I hope to have our new Gateway Program introduce a picture directory of important Staff and Faculty to incoming freshmen. I also hope to have a Gateway Seminar introducing myself and available services to freshmen.

Congratulations, Nancy, on your full time status. Your college has made a wise decision. It also seems that you have some very good ideas to build a retention culture. I hope they continue to support your efforts. Please keep me posted how things go.

I think a big part of retention is for the faculty to understand different aspects of their co-workers jobs. Alot of times individuals will think they have sent a student to the right person for an answer and they haven't. The student ends up feeling frustrated and some will leave instead of tracking down where to get the help they need.

Sign In to comment