Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating a culture for retension

I'd like to hear some comments on dealing with someone at the highest levels in an academic institution that refuses to work on setting the tone for a positive culture for students.

Interesting issue, Paul. Is this a widely recognized problem? What have you tried? Anyone have any guidance for Paul?

I'm not sure there are too many options. I guess I'd just like to stress the importance of modelling helpful behavior from the top to the bottom of the organizational chart. Student opinions and perceptions are weighted heavily towards top-level administration. We all need to be careful that we set the tone for creating a culture for retension, especially the higher up the organizational chart we go.

Paul, there's no question that top-level administration has to set the tone. Not only do students pick up on their lead, but obviously faculty and staff do as well. If the leaders aren't committed to student success, it will cast a pall across the entire organization. I hope we'll hear from others about how they would approach this problem.

Wow -- that seems strange. As someone who works at the the upper end of the institution, it seems very difficult to understand why someone would take that type of attitude -- especially when retention is so critical to the well being of the school.

A couple of thoughts:

First, don't overestimate this person's importance to creating a culture at a school. I visit many of our schools over the course of the year. While my ego wants to believe that I have a huge impact on the positive culture at a school, I have to concede that few students ever notice my presence. Rather, positive culture is a grass-roots thing than can be created by the people who work with students every day. Make it your personal mission to be positive and carry this attitude with pride(as long as you stay within your school's policies and guidelines.) If you do so, the retention will follow and, unless this person is a complete fool, they will not interfere with a successful approach.

Second, be solution oriented. Again, on some of my visits, I am frequently cornered by an instructor or other staff member who wants to discuss a litany of problems. It's amazing how deaf I can become to this. However, I always listen to people who have a solution. I may not always be able to implement their idea, but I will always listen. If you see this person again, you may have the opportunity to talk about your solutions.

Hope this helps.

Tip O'Neill is credited with saying "all politics are local". I think the same is true with campus leadership. Visitors from corporate can set a tone - for better or worse - but it's up to the people who have constant contact with students, staff and faculty to cultivate the culture of the institution. I have visited schools where the leadership is consumed with nickels and dimes on the sidewalk, and lose sight of the gold in the hills. These people are usually always squeezing the budget to improve the short term results. Ultimately, this short sighted approach will catch up with them, but in the meantime many students and service oriented staff/faculty suffer.

Hi Paul,
Sounds like a challenging problem. Coming from a person on the ground level I can suggest that you use the channels that are offered to you for such events; they are typically referred to as Human Resources or People Services. Remarks are intended to be confidential and can be a good starting point. If enough noise is generated about a particular issue there should be little time before actions are taken to remedy these issues. If this behavior is evident to a group as well as an individual stick together, be consistent and fair, and be able to support your findings with examples.
Let the powers that be know how you feel... it will make you feel better if nothing else! I recommend you don't start "stirring up the pot" until you are calm enough to talk about it in a civilized manner.
Also, be loaded with solutions to the problems that be. It will show that you are trying to stay on the right path to success. Good Luck!

Sign In to comment