Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Small vs Large Classes and 1:1 Intervention

It is much easier to dedicate the time, resources, and effort in helping students of smaller cohorts or classes. This becomes diluted, however, when class sizes are large and the career-oriented students have many issues negatively affecting retention. Is there research on or findings that indicate an appropriate instructor-to-student ratio and/or a student services department (staff)-to-student ratio...with a particular focus on Student Retention, that is recommended?

I know for dental hygiene CODA requires a max student to instructor ratio of 5:1 in clinic. I have taught at various schools where it is more 4:1 which makes it easier to give each student adequate one on one time. 5:1 does make it a little more difficult at times. As far as our class size it ranges from 16-31, it depends on the institution. I definitely enjoy the smaller class sizes compared to the large ones. You can get more time to ask questions when you don't understand something.

I presently am teaching Respiratory Care in a small class 4:1 at the clinic site and I must say it is great! The students get a very individualized learning experience and I believe it is easier for them to focus on what we are learning with the smaller group. I have taught at another institution where the group was much larger 10:1 and I believe there is a noticable difference.

Teaching a small group of students is a lot of fun. The class can be geared directly toward the students needs and their weakness. Also students get to know each other very well.

I agree, however a big class can benifit the students to get acoustom to different personalities because in the work force they will not meat the same people all the time.

I think teaching in small groups is more effective and is easier to connect with the students and their individual needs and what is going on. Its much easier to determine if that student is having troubles outside of class.

George, what's the ideal class size, in your opinion? Is it different for lab than lecture? If so, what does that mean for scheduling?

I so agree with you. You can give a student much more "one on one" with smaller classes. I think the students feel much more confident in smaller classes too.

There is such a thing as too small a class, too. At some point the students feel that they get too much attention. What do you consider to be the ideal size?

Whether large or small classes, if any student needs intervention, there needs to be an initial conversation or communication to assess the issue and develop a plan of intervention. If that means referring a student to someone of greater benefit after you initially speak with them or continue beyond the initial communication. The bottom line is to assess, emphasize, determine and take action to help the student.

Sign In to comment