Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Perception of fairness as an essential...examples of intervention

I found at Computer Learning Center that whan a student believed the Student Advisor (myself) was willing to be fair...that it increased their willingness to come forth with problems...at a early enough time that they could be dealt with.

They saw that sometimes, a position was taken "on the side of a teacher". Other times it was "on the side of the student". But they always saw it was after a careful evaluation of the facts.

In one case, there had been an instructor who had particular issues with African-American males; and we saw a demonstrated tendency to grade these students far more severely than those students fitting into another demographic slot. I was aked by the director to observe the classes at random moments under the guise of other reasons...and dtermined using both personal observation along with (what we'd call using the system presented in this course) surveys and vertical probes.

Eventually the instructor was removed from the class, repalced by another instructor, and overall grades in the course (which had been a flash point for drops) increased.

Have any of the other professionals in this forum encountered a similar situation?

No one likes to be treated unfairly, Robert. It is important that a school be willing to hear student problems from an unbiased perspective. There are times when a staff or faculty member will make a mistake. Students must know that there is an opportunity to air their grievance without fear of retribution. Staff and faculty also must know that they will be supported when a student makes an unfounded complaint.

Every one should be treated fairly, regardless of their situations, you would get more accomplished with the students by being fair.

‘Treated fairly' means different things to different people, Willinette. How do you define fairly? Is this something that you address in class?

Sign In to comment