Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What do you include in your orientation, Elizabeth? Is there a moderator for the chat room? How do you engage students who aren't responding?

What about the students that always have issues with childcare, transportation and finances?

What we have done to help retention with those that have the issues you have spoken about is to have a resource book available. It is simply a list of car services, buses, try other students for carpooling, etc. for transportation and a list of day cares in the area. We actually just helped a student who lost her job and place to live in 1 day and in that same day retained new job and place to live. (That doesn't happen all the time but it feels good when you can help)
You have to develop a list of resources and ask questions of those around you.

Lisa offers some great suggestions. In addition to having these types of resources available, you also must work with the troubled student to develop problem solving skills. One of the most valuable lessons your students can learn is how to manage their lives.

There initial buy-in is their enrollment. They have decided to change their life and now the deam starts to unfold. I think that the buy may or may not start to erode on day two. This is when our job in keeping their buy-in starts beyond admissions and clear short term goals and achievement are essential. I read somewere here that a school had changed their attendance policies and I could not agree more with having proper policies. Sometimes schools develop policies to comply with state or accrediting agencies and adopted policies aren't reflective of school identity, program length, or delivery of curriculum. This is a great Forum!

Certainly we all have to be mindful of compliance issues, but I think you're right, Julio. These issues shouldn't determine school identity. How we meet – or exceed – standards is what defines an institution and offers the opportunity to excel.

I believe that attendance is a huge issue, especially because if they are missing class, how will they be at a job? We have an attendance policy for each class, however, some students just ignore it. They make up excuses for missing class and because we are here to support them, it is sometimes difficult to know when a student is telling the truth or lying.

Attendance is a hugh issue. If some students put as much time into their studies as they do trying to beat the system, they would be honor students.

Do you have a strict time limit for absences? We stopped sitting in judgment. If students exceeded a certain amount of time they automatically failed the course. They could appeal. If they had mastered the competencies and had documentation supporting their absences [ ex. doctor's slip], the review committee had the authority to overrule the policy.

When students learn that the policy will be followed and that there are economic consequences [paying to re-take the course], they are less cavalier about attendance.

ELAINE: AT OUR SCHOOL IF U MISS 4 DAYS U R DRPOPPED, IF TJEY ARE NOT EXCUSEABLE ABSENCES.

Who monitors attendance? Who determines what is an excused absence? What role does the instructor play in the execution of this policy?

I agree we always encourage our students to get perfect attendace for all five modules, we let them know that with a certificate showing that they had perfect attendace for all five modules that the first thing an employer will look at and take you more in to concentration because it shows that they are reliable. And just knowing that we give perfect attendace awards for each module help sets the sudents goals for them selfs, it gives them something to look fforward to.

Do you also recognize perfect attendance for staff and faculty?

We too have a strict Attendance Policy. If a student is fifteen minutes late that is considered tardy. Six tardies equal one absence. After ten absences that student is dropped. If I see a pattern of tardiness developing, I like to speak with that student individually. Another problem involving tardiness is that when we are setting up to do a diving procedure, that student because he is late,does not participate in the set up. This leaves us a hand short(sometimes I suspect this is pre-planned to avoid the work involved). If I see this pattern developing, I speak with this student individually, also. I emphasize the importance of attendance and being a part of the team. Very important to perspective employers!

Your policy actually seems quite liberal. I don't think many employers would wait for 10 absences [or up to 60 tardies] before terminating an employee. I don't know anything about diving, but isn't set up crucial. Why not consider it an absence if the student isn't there for that part of the activity? Do you allow them to participate in the dive if they miss set up?

The school that I teach at, the student is removed for the if the attendance is below 89%. So I push attendane each and every day in my class. To the point of asking every time the student is late or leaves early is really needed.

DURING THE ORIENTATION IT SHOULD BE STRESSED THAT ATTENDANCE IS VERY IMPORTATNT AND THAT EMPLOYERS ARE GOING TO SEE IT

Do you include attendance records on the transcripts provided to students and employers?

An instructor is like a rool model for them. If they show low amounts of motivation in what they are doing....students really seem to pick up on that.

The Registrar and the teacher monitors the attendance each day once we see that a student has been missing for more than 2 days they get a call.

we discuss every day they miss with them before it gets to be a problem

Sign In to comment