Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Develop relationships before there are problems

I find that it is essential to develop relationships with the students before any problems arise. If you have a good rapor with all students and show a genuine concern about each individual, he/she will feel comfortable coming to you if the need arises. Also, the student will not feel that you are prying into his/her personal affairs but that you are truly concerned.

Nancy, I agree that showing a genuine concern for each student is a good starting point. Do you have any techniques to accomplish this that you can share?

I cannot stress enough the power that I have seen in just listening. Once a student sees that someone may actually care about them they open up and see that maybe there are answers. Sometimes just a nod from you is all that is needed.

For many of our students, positive re-enforcement and support are new experiences – particularly in the classroom. We all like to be listened to and encouraged to do our best.

Students share alot of info in their initial interviews w/admissions & financial aid - "just chatting". I try to engage them while we're going thru the FA process - this help me to keep their attention. I have found that by doing this, they feel like they have a connection to someone right off the bat. Later, when I pass them in the hall or in the lobby, I always try to say hello or comment on something they told me when they first came in - for example: "how's your little guy?" Even if you can't remember anything about a particular student, a simple: "is it still real hot out there?" works. The student feels like they're not just a body but that they're SOMEbody.

All the studies about persistence speak to the importance of a student feeling connected with the institution, Lisa. Knowing that someone is interested in their success has a very positive effect on their willingness to overcome issues as they arise. Conversely, if they feel that no one at the school cares they can easily rationalize dropping out by saying “they don't care, why should I?”.

Keep up the good work.

I aggree, if you develop a relationship early it does help. One of the things I have done is to make myself available to the students and not just my class but all students in the school. I have watched the students and determined the best times to be here for them, instead of being locked away somewhere. The students have recognized this and many have sought me out.

Having supportive people available to students is a key part of a successful student success program, Stephen. Your actions help to make that happen. Do other faculty members make themselves available too? How can you make this part of your school's culture?

I agree, but instructors are also subject to The stress adaptation syndrome. The challenge for me is to be continually aware of my own stress reactions and to be able to reframe (paradigm shift) and keep focused on the needs of the student. More than anyrthing this seems to me to be an inner motivation that students are aware of, even when I'm not at my best.

Great observations, Donnie. We tend to take instructors for granted; that somehow they are immune from the same outside forces that cause problems for students. If you are dealing with issues, it is difficult to keep that out of the classroom. Do you have any suggestions on how to stay balanced?

Thats somewhat like asking someone caught in the Colorado River rapids if they have suggestions about the breast stroke. Most of the time I seem to be struggling just to keep my head above water.
I think its somewhat like keeping the faith. I need to have times when I'm reminded about why I'm here; I need to remind myself or be reminded as to who a student can become and look past the confused, often angry person who is confronting or avoiding me; I need to go out into the community and see former students at work and see in their eyes how their lives are better; I need others to share the vision with; and I need down time when I don't have to think at all.
In the seven years I've been doing this I have come through beautifully and I have failed miserably; I have had times when I was an inspiration, and I've had times when I was in desparate need of one. I have to be able to forgive myself for my failings and keep finding reasons to stay. I have watched a flood of instructors come and go. In just seven years I'm the most senior instructor on our two campuses.
Life would be easier somewhere else, but I've been somewhere else. I have to keep caring about the people who walk through my door and into my classroom and make them a part of why I live my life.

This is at the core. It doesn't matter how much you spend or what is available if you haven't established the relationship up front it will be difficult to reach the students.

Jeanette, please share some your institution's methods for establishing solid relationships with your students early in their period of enrollment.

Absolutely. The best way to solve problems is to prevent their occurance.

I STRONGLY encourage my education directors to get out of their offices. We should be greeting the students when they come and saying bye when they leave. We should be chatting with them while they are on break. We should be involved in the classrooms whenever possible. These things cannot happen if our rears are attached to our chairs. It is amazing what students will say when you are on their "turf" as opposed to when they are in your office.

I certainly agree with this process, too. How do you measure this interactivity? Is it part of an education director's evaluation?

This is a difficult thing to measure accurately. One thing we do is survey all of the new students at the end of the 1st week. One of the questions is whether or not they have spoken personally to the DOE. If we see a high level of "NO" responses here, it is a pretty good indicator that this activity is not happening.

I work with career services and make it a point to say hello to students when come in and talk to them briefly about life, work and school. If everyone in the school did that or stoped by class to say hi, it would greatly inpact the issues they might be having.

Having a personal connection with students can have a powerful impact, Yahaira. Do you coordinate your classroom visits with the instructor? How do you connect with students about specific issues they may have?

I completely agree with the need to establish a relationship with our students before a problem arises. I read a comment earlier that implied that it is not possible for Instructors to maintain authority in the classroom if they have the type of relationship with the students that allows them to feel comfortable with discussing their personal issues. I found that a little disturbing from a Program Director perspective. How do you reach your students and expect them to be open to the learning environment of the classroom without that comfort? How do they address concerns or gain clarity from the type of Instructor that only maintains control of their class by intimidation?

Sign In to comment