Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel the same way, we are preparing students for the workforce. With this, everyday that they come to school they should have the mindset that is just like a job. If they are "lazy" about coming to school, why bother with the education to get a job when they won't be able to hold on to one. With all the competition out in the workforce, attendance and dependability are one of the areas you can get an edge up on the competition.

The global economy/workplace is not just something that you read about in the papers. Jobs are going to the well prepared. Attitude is an extremely important part of success. What are you doing, Tina, to help students understand the importance of work ethic?

That's a really great question, I know I continue to talk about what is expected by employers and how important a good work ethic is. But what I do to help them actually understand, is by showing them my own work ethic. I am in my class every night/day that I have one to instruct. They know that I am always ready to start my day/night when we are supposed to. I continue to work until the class is over. Then when the class is over, I am still reachable for support if needed. So I guess I could say that I really try to lead by example. I am also open to any suggestions that you may have for me to continue to help them to understand. Thank you.

I'm sure your example is an inspiration to your students. Your behavior re-enforces the points you make. Do you ever invite recent graduates back to share their experiences with the current students? Often they have seen the results of poor work place behavior and can underscore the importance of work ethic.

In my experience, policies often fail to effectivly bring students into compliance with what we want them to do. Frequently, policies are written in such a way that they read: "If you fail to do X, then punitive action will be taken."

Unfortunately, (at least for my schools), many of our studnet are experienced in failure. Many have accepted that failure and punitive action are a part of life. Thus, when we try to change behavior via a policy, it does not scare them. They simply accept the fact that they failed just like they have so many times before.

Good attendance is dependent upon making sure that we create expectations both for the students and for the faculty. We expect that students will attend every day without regard to what our policy may read. We expect this because if they miss a day of class, they will miss a great opportunity to better themselves and advance their dreams. On the other hand, as an administrator, I expect that faculty will bring their A-game every day. I expect that each hour of class will be of benefit to our studnets and will be exciting. In this way, studnets are energized and will want to attend.

I have about 400 instructors in my school system. When I visit a school, I can tell you which instructors have attendance issues and which don't just by sitting in the classrooms and guaging the energy in them. This is my favorite parlor trick with the school staffs because I am almost always right. The classes with energy, enthusiasm, and expectations always have good attendance -- regardless of what our policy requires.

Another sad but true commentary. I, too, have observed that students cut the classes that do not engage them. Unfortunately, energy and enthusiasm aren't usually part of an instructor's quarterly review.

Is it possible to write policies that will meet campus needs and regulatory requirements from a positive point of view?

At one time, we tried to write policies that weren't based upon negative consequences. However, the regulatory agencies argued that students must be fully informed of what behaviors could result in sanctions from the school. We reluctantly agreed with that assessment.

To get around it, we focus on expectations and not policies. Each studnet gets a list of policies with their catalog, but we don't review these with them. If they have any questions, they can speak with the Director. All of our expectations exceed our policies -- so when students meet our expectations, they also meet our underlying policies.

It is a delicate balancing act. Some faculty/staff feel more comfortable in the black and white of policies. This can be overcome through training. Our education managers have training conference calls each week. This has helped us to help them use expectations rather than policies.

Davida,
While I agree with your concerns with preparing students for the workforce, I have noticed that there are traditional and non-traditional students who have a great deal of responsibility. These responsibilities include working, family issues, financial and courses.

The first day of class consists of explaining the syllabus in detail, a brief lecture and having some interactive games that get the students and instructor connected. Our school policy states that two absences will result in the drop of a letter grade. I take attendance daily and expect punctuality - students have to talk with me after class if they are late. This sends the message that they need to be on time, but it also helps to locate student issues.

I also will let them turn in 3 late assignments for reduced credit, no questions asked and they can make up one exam with a valid excuse. I make these requirements extremely clear in my classes. There are instructors who do not do these things, but when students have so much to "juggle" I felt I could give a little.

Cheryl, your policy provides some flexibility for your students as they make the transition to the "real world" yet has consequences for failure to perform to standard expectations. How many of your students take advantage of the policy? Do you see a decrease as students advance?

I teach several 101 courses that consist of traditional and non-traditional students. As in most classes, I have students who "push the envelope" and have those 2 absences and/or turn in 3 late assignments and I have students who come to every class and turn in all assignments on time.

The late homework policy is for emergencies and I tell students this. There are those students who turn in the first 3 assignments late and are often surprised when I will not accept the 4th assignment. I tell them this is a learning experience and ask them what they have learned as a result of taking advantage of turning in late assignments when they could have been submitted on time.

Unfortunately, many students confuse right and privilege. It's hard to understand why they don't understand the concept of unforeseen circumstances when they use their allowed absences or lates at the beginning of the semester. I hope you're right that it's a learning experience for them, Cheryl.

Davida,

I also tell my students at orientation and many times during their program that "this is preparation for employment". However, I make sure to find out what my students are dealing with in their personal lives and help them to learn methods of managing and coping with things that come up. Under our care they have to learn some of the soft skills that will help them to become responsible employees. It is not always as simple as it may seem to us. While I do not accept excuses I find that helping them to "learn" professionalism and responsiblity is part of preparing them for employment.

Do you have any specific examples of how this has worked for you, Constance?

Attendance is crutial to learning. A person who is intrested in the subject is going to be in class and pay attention. The student that is only their to satisfy their parents demand that they go to school will have no motivation and will miss up to the maximum hours allowed. Attendance is a good indicator if a student is in danger of droping out in the respect,there is a sudden chang in behavior in the middele of a course. This is the time for the instructor to talk with the student and inquire as to what might be making the student miss so many hours and is there any thing that we can do for him.
The student will usally open up with either frustration at the school, their family or them selves. As an instructor it is my job to give the student the tools to deal with these new challenges in life. Some things can be handle on campus in other departments and some can not.

Losing job also could be a reason why student may suddenly change behavior. Financial difficulty, insecurity will bring a great dill of stress. What's about if the student do not have the money to fill up the car.

Sign In to comment