Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Match light

I don't teach it anymore, but I used to teach the very first class of the nursing program. I would tell them that they were standing in a dark room holding a match. In a few days they would start to understand a few things, but it would be like trying to see the corners of the ceiling by match light. Each class they would get a progressively bigger light, candle-light, flashlight, ect. I told them at no point would they ever be in a room where the light showed everything, because no one can know everything. So, at times when you feel lost and like you are in the dark, maybe what you are trying to learn is just a match light. You just don't have it yet, but you will. And that if you feel like someone else is standing in a room full of light (and understanding) that there are dark rooms to them that you see without difficulty. Try your best. Because no one can know what they haven't been taught. Study. But don't beat yourself up because you SHOULD know it but don't. Look for other ways to see the problem. Look for other ways to seek the answers.

Good counsel, Elizabeth. Hope your students are responsible when they play with matches.

That is an excellent explanation of the beginnings of the learning process. I enjoyed reading it very much.

That is a great idea Elizabeth, I bet the new nursing students get a great by using this concept.

Great story Elizabeth.

I have noticed that many students are hesitant to risk not knowing, or try new things in the classroom. I have some that don't want to explore a concept until they know what the answer should be, but that cuts them off from gaining the skills that are associated with discovery and research that they will need to solve new problems on their own in the future. -- Others will use the idea that they don't know how to do something (yet) as a reason to not attempt doing it for the first time in class.

Your quote: "Because no one can know what they haven't been taught. Study. But don't beat yourself up because you SHOULD know it but don't. Look for other ways to see the problem. Look for other ways to seek the answers." -- spoke to both of these ideas for me.

I also see some students "gaming" the system-- looking at assignments, expectations, and doing what they can to earn an "A" rather doing what they can do to learn as much as possible in the course. -- In my class, I try to make sure those ideas are not exclusive-- students are safe to take chances on bigger assignments-- But I have heard many say that they will make the choice to do something they already know rather than do something new in order to help make sure they get a better grade in the class.

Do you feel that students/teachers/schools now over-emphasize symbols of learning like test scores, GPA and degrees over actually learning itself? What effects has this emphasis had on student learning and retention?

This is a great thread. The questions you raise, David, are very valid and the answers unfortunately are way beyond the scope of this course. However, I hope that they can serve as the basis for spirited discussion at higher ed institutions across the country.

And that if you feel like someone else is standing in a room full of light (and understanding) that there are dark rooms to them that you see without difficulty. Try your best

Sign In to comment