Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Objectives

I think one of the problems is that students don't always have a clear definition of what is expected of them. Your thoughts?

I agree, that is why it is imperative to have a really good orientation program as well as a continuous expression of expectations.

I could not agree more. A prime example of this is, I just lost a student that had perfect attendance and an A average. This happened because of an online class. Somehow we have got to monitor their online class status. We can't fix what we don't know!

-Mike

Theoretically, expectations are clearly stated in the catalog and throughout the admissions process. If students don't have a clear understanding of expectations, perhaps it's time to review what's happening before they get to class.

One of my students spoke up during a class earlier in the quarter and said she felt the students didn't know what to expect of me in terms of how assignments would be graded, so I have tried to be clearer when giving assignments as to how they would be assessed and what specifically I expect the students to do; this is expressed in both written form and orally. This strategy appears to have addressed the issue and I have not had any further questions or complaints about it.

We all seek clarity in how we will be evaluated. That's true in the classroom and on the job. Kudos to the student who had the courage to address the issue and kudos to you for being receptive and willing to make an adjustment.

I agree. Expectations are often listed as a macro item for all students to read as they choose in school catalogs and in orientations. I believe that we often fail in the detail by item and subject. In a system of progression of phase to phase as in technical training often the pre-lecture of the topic or the first 20 minutes of a course can mean the difference between unsure stressed students as to what their suppossed to do to meet expectations versus the fact that we often assume that they are capable of reaching that point on their own.

Jamie, how do you communicate your expectations in the first 20 minutes? Do you post anything on a class web site that students could re-visit? Perhaps a video of your presentation?

Sign In to comment