Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reality Shock

The same thing that effects new student also effect new hires within the career filed. We call GAS reality shock in the nursing field. Most grads burn out the first year. We build in our curriculum achievable milemarkers to encourage the students to continue to work hard and learn. We also discuss reality shock, as a normal process to growing and learning and coping strategies to manage it; such as, our new students are taught skill by our mature students in our program (since they can enter anywhere in the wheel). The mentoring helps the new students develop comaradarie.

What have you done to help overcome reality shock for your students?

Marie - excellent comments!

You noted, “The same thing that affects new student also effect new hires within the career filed. We call GAS reality shock in the nursing field. Most grads burn out the first year. We build in our curriculum achievable mile markers to encourage the students to continue to work hard and learn. We also discuss reality shock, as a normal process to growing and learning and coping strategies to manage it; such as, our new students are taught skill by our mature students in our program (since they can enter anywhere in the wheel). The mentoring helps the new students develop camaraderie.”

This excellent example notes that any area of study, especially those that require a significant or new effort, can easily cause GAS in learners.

How can we avoid GAS or help to mitigate it?
From an Instructor Viewpoint, GAS is always a possibility from any learners, whether new to the program, or a veteran. As such, our best line of defense is “shock reduction”. If learners understand and can relate to a program that they are entering, through kindness, communication, and discussion, perhaps in many cases, GAS can be avoided.

I like how mention that this reality shock does not only happen to the students, but to the new hires as well. I am a new hire, and this is my first time teaching. I'm currently going through the effects of GAS syndrome. In response to Ami, I don't think it is possible to fully avoid GAS, but the best way to deal with it is through mitigation. "Shock reduction" is the key. One excellent way of implementing "shock reduction" is letting the students know that you care about their plight and that there are services set up to assist them, no matter the issue or circumstance. For new hires, "shock reduction" can be reduced by speaking with instructors to have a solid idea of what to expect, and also, to take things one thing and one day at a time.

I Love your idea of mentoring. It can give purpose to the older students and hope to newer ones. School may be the only place that either of these influences may happen for them. Great tool for building esteem. Thankyou

We have mentors in our school as well. Student ambassadors are pared with a student who needs help or is feeling overwhelmed and this paring helps the other student realize that they are not alone or the only one who feel that way. This is a tremendous boast in attitude.

This also can effect their grades; so having students one on one tutoring is a great aide. Ssometimes we instructors just don't know how to put it, words fail, but a student can say it just right and the struggling students gets it!!!

We partner our junior Dental Hygiene students with a senior student; little buddy, big buddy. In this, the seniors mentor their junior buddy about different aspects of the program “through the eyes of a student”. Although they do not study together because they are in different courses, the seniors can give study tips or well deserved mental support on upcoming tests.

Kimberlee, sounds like a good system. How long have you been doing this? What's the feedback from the students? How do you make the buddy pairing?

Sign In to comment