Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding attrition

This is part of our business in today world we have several problems that come up in life: economy, money, family life, etc. I can only help in certian areas if the student tells me what is going on at that time.

Open communication is central to good retention practices. You can't help with problems you don't know about. Do you have any techniques to get students to share problems with you, Lloyd?

One of the biggest things I do is keep a constant communication channel with my students. I take interest in their hobbies and interest and try to find a way to identify with them. If you establish that I find it is easier for them to approach you when they have an issue.

One I use, I will go up to the student and just ask is everything ok or do you have a pet at home just to start a conversation.

Watching a students body language can tell you a lot about how he or she is feeling. Sometimes a simple question on "How are you doing today?" will spark enough for them to open up a little.

Body language does tell alot. Most of the time you could tell who needs the "how are you doing today" just from observing

What body language signs do you look for Don? Are there certain things that trigger an interaction on your part?

This is a very good thing to do with the students. the student will see the instructor as if two people are in to the same hobby. the student will pay more attention to instructor if he is into the same hobby and try and teach towards the students hobbies.

Getting to know your students is easy to do if your hobbies and the things you do are in common with your students. You have something to talk about that will connect you to them. Like your love of cars, racing, sports, etc. You will be able to relate to your students, and improve the lines of communications.

Have you found ways to bring those common interests into the classroom?

Sign In to comment