Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do any schools institue a Stress Managemnt/health/wellness program?

If so, how has it been effective in reducing or relieving student related stress? Who would direct such a program?

At the school I used to be involved with stress, health and wellness were included in the focus of the Student Services department. Students had access to the local health system for counseling, if needed.

We also assigned regular complete of an online stress assessment as part of the gen ed courses. Problems that were uncovered were parsed out the appropriate personnel.

I personally don't know of any school teaching such a program at the post secondary level. I feel that any course dealing with student success can only benefit.

Stress/health/wellness typically are topics in a broader course. Courses dealing with transition issues are fairly common in the traditional sector; over 90% have some sort of first year experience course that is available to some or all of their entering students. Of course, the course content varies widely, depending on the educational objectives of the institution.

We include a "Life Skills" module for all first semester students. Within this module stress management is discussed. We have seen an increase in retention since we have added this change.

Do you think your improved retention is related directly to the unit on stress management or the entire Life Skills module? What do you cover in the stress management unit?

Not that I've been associated with. However, a few have trained administrators and counselors on the subject. This is may not be a direct wellness program, but could provide an indirect benefit to the student and institution.

Does any part of your curriculum deal with stress management or health issues? How do students get connected to the trained administrators or counselors when they need help?

That is an interesting option to help students. At my campus we do not have this. I would like to learn more about this and see if it something we can do at our campus. can you give me some more detail on what was available to the with this?

Sign In to comment