Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What are your ideas about personal empowerment programs being a part of our schools?

I think by empowering students and motivating their success and rewarding their achievements, we can accomplish alot.

It's a formula for changing lives, Katayoun. Does anyone have any examples of how they empower students?

Yes, one must first empower his/herself with self improvement audios/cds/books/conferences/ and etc. Then truely begin the change or better yet self improvement first, and then spread the energy around to other. As the saying goes, "Do as you preach".
The second key is to care enough for them and see yourself as a powerful tool facing many many lives everyday, then telling your self, "wow I love my job, look at all the lives I can affect and all the ones I have already affected". We are in a very powerful seat/ position when we know this, because our responsibilities are more than just teaching the subject.

I agree with you. In addition to that, constantly reminding students to remain focused towards achieving their goal makes teaching all worth while.

Setting goals and obtaining goals is vital in empowering students. It's important that students are well prepared in setting personal, academic and career goals.
Programs that empower students should certainly contain a self-evaluation process; identifying strengths and weaknesses, and by all means understanding that weak areas can be improved. It is through this understanding of themselves, that a student can create attainable, realistic and challenging goals. A student who has definitive goals is more self-confident and feels more in control of their future.

Good points, Kathleen. Understanding yourself – your strengths, blind spots and how you send and receive information – provides a solid foundation for classroom and workplace success. Corvus, LLC offers a product, Campus ToolKit, intended to complement a college success type course that includes a version of the Myers-Briggs, learning modality assessment, the DISC and LASSI. These assessments help the students understand themselves and others. The LASSI also helps the student identify deficiencies in their study skills and habits.

Sign In to comment