Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Responsibility for Retention

I feel that for a retention program to be successful all departments must work together for the betterment of the student. There should be interaction between admissions, faculty, and placement to follow a student's progress from orientation to graduation.

I agree Nancy. What does your institution do the assure interaction between admissions, faculty, and placement from orientation to graduation?

I agree also Nancy. During an adjunct faculty meeting tonight we discussed the knowledge "gap" that many of our students have their first quarter as a student. Many of the basic skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, even their literacy are not on the level as the majority of the other students. When they can't keep up with the majority of the class they get very frustrated and many times do not come back. We brought forth the suggestion that there be a basic "entrance" exam to assess these skills at the admissions level. Based on those scores, the counselors know best where to place the students so that they are challanged, but not overwhelmed. The whole process is frustrating to both students and instructors.

Seems reasonable, Melissa. What was decided?

After a discussion with the administration, faculty and an accredidation team, the concerns of faculty were discussed. Many of our students don't have the basic skills coming out of high school to succeed in the classroom. We are working on identifying those students and tutoring or mentoring them to help them succeed. We have also discussed adding an entrance exam so that the skill set of a student is identified before they become overwhelmed and stressed.

I agree that retention is the responsibility of all members of the school. We must work as a team to help our students succeed.

Margaret, please describe a practice at your institution that demonstrates School Commitment.

Yes, I agree. Each department must be responsible for every student and not put all of the responsibility on the instructor.

We have a very dedicated group of people at our school, who are always communicating with each other. One of our practices has always been frequent formal and informal communications about our students. This is done on almost a daily basis. When anyone has concerns about a student, all appropriate staff becomes informed and jumps in to help in any manner necessary. This open communication is not only for the students in crisis, but also for those that have made achievements. I am very proud to be part of an institution that goes above and beyond, to meet the needs of its student's past and present.

Tell me more about why you agree, Sallie. What level of responsibility should the instructor have?

Your pride is well justified, Margaret. It is very rewarding to be part of an institution that “goes above and beyond”.

The instructor spends more time with the students and develops closer relationships with them, so it seems to them that they hold more responsibility than the other employees. However, I feel that we are equally responsible in the end.

I do feel that retention starts with the staff and how the staff relates to the students. Are they really listening to them and are they really wanting to get involved with the students on a personal level? How involved do they have to get in order for a student who is a potential drop to get a more positive attitude about attendance and career motivation?

Tough question, Devra. Some students may never develop a positive attitude about attendance and career motivation; others simply need a little encouragement and a smile to motive them. Certainly, it is possible for staff and faculty to get too involved with the details of student problems. Each person who works with students must understand their limitations.

Another area to think about is customer service. If everyone in the school is not on board with providing the student with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere then many times you can lose the student. We all must remember that if it is not for the student we would not be in the position to help.

I see that I am getting here into a three-year old discussion, but I agree that the emphasis on attrition cannot be put mainlyon the education department . Often times it is the over-zealous admissions rep who can't, or won't, sense that certain prospective students are not suited for the program offered. As mentioned in one of FAPSC's modules: I would like to see implementation in our school that admission reps are held accountable for a first term attendance and perhaps a certain grade level to assure that the right students are recruited for a specific course. Finding out on orientation, after students have been enrolled & paid a Reg. fee for our fast-paced program, that their control over the English language is close to non-existent or that although having a HS-diploma, they have not attended regular classes, is not fair to the student nor the instructor since the student ultimately, after a lot of disappointments and erosion of their self-confidence and self-respect, are ultimately withdrawn from the program.

An admissions committee with representatives of the academic departments might be another way to address this problem. Is this a possibility?

If we are to retain students, instructors must realize the responsibility remains with them at the student level in the classroom. When instructors see a potential problem (obvious stress, negative comments, declining grades, inattention, etc.), they must take immediate steps to step in. If results are not seen quickly, there are other avenues available such as student services,financial aid, counselors, etc.

Sign In to comment