Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attrition

I don't believe that all student attrition can be predicted or prevented. Recentlly, I had a very capable student suddenly withdraw. After talking with some of her close friends, her reasons for leaving school seem to be excuses. None of them, at least to me, were necessary or
predictable. How do you identify with possible student withdrawal, if there are no evident signs? V-.

I agree, Cynthia, that some withdrawals cannot be predicted or prevented. Outside pressures and/or internal conflicts can result in unforeseeable decisions. Some students are very uncomfortable about sharing the real issues that lead to their decision to withdraw. In some cases they are afraid of the response they will get from school personnel if they share their issues.

Building connections with students and providing open channels of communication that invite non-judgmental and non-confrontational support are critical to reduce the number of surprises when someone suddenly withdraws.

I agree that some withdrawls cannot be controlled. I've had two students withdrawl in the last few months because they couldn't afford to not work full time.

I agree that some withdrawls cannot be controlled. I've had two
students withdrawl in the last few months because they couldn't afford
to not work full time.

I've had some students who have to work full-time start attending classes part-time (8 units instead of 12). This way they are able to both work and attend school, and the lighter load makes it not so over-whelming for them. Could your school do something like this?

Balancing work and school is often difficult, particularly for new students. It is a real advantage when you can offer a partial load, Sarah.

Our school offers a part time program as well. I believe it has prevented a lot of students from withdrawing by providing them with the option of switching from the full time program to the part time program when they felt the workload was becoming overwhelming. I think this is one of the best features of our program and it's what attracts a lot of people to us in the first place. Our part-time classes do very well here as far as retention is concerned.

Balancing classroom, work, family and personal responsibilities can be an overwhelming challenge for many students, Monica. A part-time program can be a life saver. Does your school have a plan to get students back onto a full-time schedule?

Well we have our program set up so students can transfer between classes and between campuses at anytime throughout their enrollment. So if a student goes to part time and then wishes to transfer to full time, the structure of our program allows them to do so. Both programs cover the exact same curriculum so the student does not miss anything taking the part time program, therefore there is no push to get them back into full time it is simply a matter of choice in the students part.

Cynthia, your question is very interesting. I guess it comes down to, "how can you predict what you do not observe to create prevention.

My first year at school was in a Catholic university and for the first year, I was lonely and felt isolated. I had no roommate. When I tried to join two groups, I was shut out - they were cliques who did not allow outsiders unless they fit a certain image.

I ended up joining a business sorority, which was alright but not the most wholesome. Only if they were some activities for freshmen to meet each other – outside of discipline.

Tiffany

Sign In to comment