Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do faculty project their own fears on to the students they teach?

I wonder if on occassion a teacher tends to see things in students that aren't really there. They project their own emotions, motivations, biases and so forth on to the student. This then colors the teachers perception of the student. Students have plenty of baggage of their own to deal with. Should we be doing somthing to help teachers recognize this tendency to project?

To state the obvious, teachers are human and therefore, do bring their experiences into each encounter with students. You’re right, Joe, that this is a challenge. An active in-service program can be used to focus on this issue. If you do teacher observations, you also might pick up some of this behavior.

Anyone have some thoughts for Joe?

I think sometimes faculty can project their own fears onto the students they teach. It does no good for teachers to just hand out grades to students without the students working for it, but it is just as bad if we stymie them from being excellent by attaching stigmas. There are students who have colorful personalities who are successful in the business world. Faculty must hold students to a standard but must be flexible with each student's personality style if that style is not detrimental to others in the class. Teachers also have to communicate with each other to hold each other accountable for what they do.

It is well documented that access to different problem solving and communication styles enriches the educational process, Steve. Instructors who limit students do them, and their classmates, a serious disservice, but obviously the instructor also must maintain enough decorum to avoid any student[s] dominating the class.

Yes, I do believe faculty project their own fears and opinions on students, whether purposely or unknowingly. I believe that it is up to the School Director's to make sure that the faculty is not detering the students into making a bad decision such as dropping out of school.

Crystal, how does a School Director do this?

I believe that the faculty, especially new, will have some fear at various stages when entering a classroom. It is the DOE's position, and other faculty members, to make sure that the faculty are "ready" to teach by way proper training and support. Students are able to pick up on alot of what the teachers is putting out. Just like children do. If they sense you are afraid they will have their own fears. I wholly agree with this.

Lisa, are you talking about 'stage fright' type fear or a more basic fear based on lack of knowledge/ability? Both are problems but people can be trained to overcome presentation issues, but if the fear is based on incompetence the students will tear them up - justifiably.

A little bit of both. Training with teachers teaching teachers is an easier way to help with the stage fright phase. Fear on lack of ability/knowledge can also be alieved that way and by co-teaching.

yes I belive that these fears might be good because it makes the students think

Ronald, I don't understand your point. Could you elaborate?

Being a new teacher I am happy to have staff enter my classroom to take a look at my relating skills. I also enjoy open discussions with the other teachers regarding different difficult situations and how to go about handling them. I love teaching!

Shirley, have had prior teaching experience? What have you learned from the classroom observations?

Sign In to comment