Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Refrigerator Projects

One of the things we do to help stem Academic Erosion stress is to constantly provide reinforcement for the student on a personal level. One way is to create projects (it could be a quiz or a crossword puzzle or photographs of a clinical lab with the student as the center of attraction in the photo.) which are designed specifically to be taken home and placed on the refrigerator door. This helps them to show off a bit for their family and becomes a conversation starter about how well they are doing. It is especially fun for students with children at home to move some of the kids' stuff out of the way to put mom or dad's 'A' on that door.

I would love to have some additional ideas that others use to bolster the students' self-esteem.

Neat idea! Do you also give them a magnet to post their work?

How about ideas for recognizing perfect attendance or participation in group or extra-curricular activities? Motivating the best students is much easier than keeping the average student engaged.

Anyone have ideas to add?

That is great Bill. I like to have the students not only go home and study, but study with a family member or a friend. This way the other person gets to know what they are learning about and also is amazed when they find the student knows the answer. I is a great moral booster.

The first time one of my instructors gave me a refrigerator project/art, I thought " how immature". God I was wrong, I started to love them. I wanted them and I needed them. They made me feel as if I accomplished a huge task even if it was a small part of my studies. They are motivating and I use them now, at the end of every module. I give certificates for highest final grade, perfect attendance during the module, etc. And I have found out that they love them as well, most of all, the stickers. It helps to put a smile on their faces and helps to motivate them to do better and better each time.

You're right, Tina. Small rewards can be powerful motivators. I attended a Walt Disney customer service seminar. The presenters offered small figurines of Disney characters that could be purchased anywhere on the property as rewards for participation. By the end of the seminar, they had to work to slow down participation. Have you used anything other than stickers as recognition for a job well done?

Actually I have, dependent on what type of studies the class is in at the time. For instance if it is a clinical module, I may have a small inexpensive piece of medical equipment that they may need out in the workplace. These items may include bandage scissors, penlights, funky pens, retracting measuring tapes that hook on to key chains etc.

My new class in getting ready to start and I have been thinking of using my camera a little more. Maybe taking pictures as they learn new skills, and use a little scrapbooking material to give them more of a visualized memory of their school milestones to share as well.

Using photos sounds like a great idea, Tina. Everyone likes to memorialize important events. How will you determine who is selected? Will this be part of your reward system?

Voila!!! I thank you so much for opening my mind in terms of motivation. It is always hard to reach to students and keep them focused, but to utilize a non-curriculum related reward is a magnificent idea.

What sort of rewards do you plan to use, Julio? Are there any that relate to your fields of study or your community that will motivate your students?

The vendor we purchase our theory books from also sells little business cards that look like a mini diploma. When a student moves up in a speed, the date, the name of the school, their instructor's name, their name and speed level, their score on the exams, and the signature of the director is typed on the card. The students are very excited to receive these cards and they do put them on the refrigerator.

I can imagine the student's excitement, Joyce. How often does this happen? Is there a ceremony?

No, there is not a ceremony. This happens each time a student moves up in a speedbuilding class. This is a self-paced program for speed classes.

Our school provides Perfect attendance awards which are given to the students each term.

Another way to recognize is to present a star to the student for their name badge. Each term the student has perfect attendance they receive a star. When they are on externship the site will ask what the star's are for. What site would not want a student that has several perfect attendance star's on their name badge.

Thanks for sharing this idea, Elizabeth. You're right - the stars are a great way to draw a prospective employer's attention to a student's accomplishments.

Our course go in three week cycles so every three weeks we give out "SOC" (student of the course) pins to display on there ID badges. The students love them and it is always stiff compettion in class for them. They work great!

How long do the students continue to wear the pin? Can they get multiple ones? If so, do they wear all that they have earned?

Sign In to comment