Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

RT 101 Teamwork Makes the Dream Work

Retention in postsecondary adult education isvery important. Most adults return to school in order to imporve their life style and provide for their family.
Few people have time to waste and so I beleive most adult learners enter the academic arena with the expectation of being successful to complete the course they have started.

It takes the entire faculty and staff to work together as a team to help our students accomplish their academic dream.

Vernise Walker

It absolutely does...The flow of information among departments is important. Some schools have regularly scheduled meetings of people involved with particular students scheduled to discuss issues that have arisen within the group or with individuals in a precarious situation. All involved need an opportunity/venue to share information that may be relevant to student success and to brainstorm to develop a course of action. These groups may be only faculty or could include other staff members who are involved.

Lynn, this can be a very effective practice. Is there a clearly defined leader for these groups or are they more organic, forming to deal with an issue and then dissolving?

I know my school has regular meetings with our President to go over any concerns or updates. Teamwork is not just a specific department but as a school. If we all work together it benefits the student.

Amy, do you have team building exercises to further develop this cross departmental cooperation?

As an instructor it takes the other instructors before me to mentor the students, advise them, and the program director as well. When I get them they should be acclimated into the curriculum and dress code and I can prepare them for the externship experiences. It takes all of us, it takes a village.

And a clear vision as well as strong leadership.

is so true it does take a village and we are all respondsible for the outcome

Keep in mind that the village must be organized around a common goal, Nydia.

I totally agree. It takes everyone to make a dream come true; Starting from the first interest phone call, their admissions meeting thru academia, to the day or night of graduation. And I must add day 1 of their career. “It takes a village”

I have participated in meetings such as these. Anyone who has involvement with an "At Risk" student is invited. This includes faculty, administration, Financial Aid, and student services. These cases are discussed and solutions are presented. This doesn't necessarily mean that every student issue is solved. It does help to have an extra set of eyes on a problem.

The information at our campus is passed through mandatory in services performed by the corporate office every month. It is a very effective means of learning and keeping the students interested and without these team building meetings it would be much harder.

I agree that adult leaners as well as younger adult learners (the ones that cannot afford college after high school)have a specific aim in mind as to what they want to accompolish in the least amount of time,and at the same time improving their quality of live.
Therefore I believe it is everyones responsibility to make sure these students receive all that was promised to them. Starting from the admission's Rep. through and encluding the educational staff. With everyone working together for the good of the students, their dreams are bound to materialize!!

I love this statement and I strongly agree..

This statement should be use to motivate the campus teams. I will mention it at my next meeting.

Sue, is the information still timely if only transmitted monthly? How is it communicated from the campus to corporate and back again?

Chasity, what's the next step to make it part of your reality?

Chasity, what's the next step to make it part of your reality?

Sign In to comment