Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Honesty is the Best Policy

When it comes to retention I feel it starts by being up-front and honest with the student/students.
Most Post- secondary students are tired of being promised the world and getting a slice of pizza and a small glass of soda. Some of their first encounters were “Career Counselors “or “Sales Reps.” who earned a commission for getting a warm body to “sign on the dotted line”. They were promised untold riches and opportunities to earn Rock Star status in the word as we know it. Then, when they attend their first few classes they see that it might not be all that true, this makes the future Instructors job a lot more difficult because of the nasty flavor it left in the student’s mouth.
I try to be clear on the course lessons and objectives. I also always keep in mind that these students are much more than just numbers, they are thinking, breathing, feeling Human Beings that have legitimate lives and experiences. Some students just quit because that’s what they know. If an instructor can display a little honest concern and compassion, with out getting overly involved in their personal life, it just might save the student from caving in.

Hey Mike, Great Post. One thing I do is I give it to them straight. I don't sugar coat. I also give them concrete examples of what they have to look forward to in life. I also remind them that their time here will go by fast. The other topic you mentioned was right on target. How to help them in other areas of their life without going in too deep and taking on their problem, but giving them the guidance and the tools to solve their own challenges.

Absolutley right on...the world blows enough smoke.. i try not to add to the illussion...just the facts

Do you share those facts with the people who blow smoke? It's important to make sure the people who are promoting the outcomes of your program know what's realistic.

I've noticed that the awareness of any such promises doesnt make itself apparent until 1 or 2 months into the program. It is not util the students get to know other senior students that they begin to ad 2 and 2. I remain very honest about what our teacher/student purpose and goals are while reassuring that they can attain the basic fundamentals to become employed at an entry level. Once in the workforce it is in their hands to lose, so on.

I couldn't agree more. One of the biggest complaints I hear from students is some of the things they were told before coming to the school just aren't true. The students figure out pretty quickly what's true and what isn't. Misleading or outright lying to the students only causes more problems.

I agree with the Honesty is the best policy.
If you let them know WHY it is important for them to stay engaged, get good grades etc. i have found better luck with keeping people engaged.

Sadly, so much of this is true. At my school we have some wonderful admissions folks. But, at least according to student reports, there are in some cases a distinct chasm between what's promised to get people enrolled on the one hand and what reality is on the other. As you point out, in any situation involving discrepancies the best policy for instructors is pure honesty about expectations and capabilities.

Johnny, good point about honesty being the best policy, but I think you have to add follow through to educate the admissions personnel about the incorrect information they are giving prospective students.

Sign In to comment