Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What incentives can we use to retain students who are repeating a course and still do not attend?

I want to reach students who have the capability to succeed, but do not apply themselves, while maintaining academic integrity.

Noble objective, Cheryl. What techniques do you use to reach your target group?

Loren-
I currently use personal conversations and notes, phone calls and my enthusiasm for the topics I teach to reach those students in need of an extra boost. I try to even make lecture fun and interesting; utilizing critical thinking and crossword puzzles to aid in retention of information. Some students still do not feel the need to attend class even when failing exams. I'm finding the students who are repeating the same course are my worst offenders and I want to help them succeed.

I am experimenting with something new, partly as a result of taking this course. I am implementing a "Let's Talk" session to address student issues that might be occurring outside of classes. I have always been open to talking with them one-on-one also. Any suggestions?

Cheryl, I know some instructors who, as a last resort, have met with a problem student outside of class and point blank asked the student in a very candid way if he/she wants help – “I'm here for you if you want the help, but please let me know if I'm wasting my time; I have other students who can use the help if you don't care.” This approach clearly identifies your willingness to work with the student, but also establishes your expectations. It also places responsibility for what happens next with the student.

It certainly seems like you are fully engaged in presenting the material. Wonderful. Unfortunately, not everyone will respond. I'm interested in seeing other thoughts from other forum participants.

As a student affairs advisor for an online campus, I contact students about attendance and academic issues. I try to help students focus on their initial dream of getting an education for a better career. I have found that most non-participation or poor academic performance occurs because students have other issues interfering with their school life. We refer students to resources that may help them sort out their other life issues. Our faculty and staff keep in contact with students as much as possible through email, discussions and phone calls to encourage them. We try to help students understand that failing classes is wasting their investment in themselves and their future.

Gail, have you also provided similar services to students in a classroom setting? If so, could you please compare the types and frequency of problems that you encounter with the different student populations? Thanks.

Hi Loren:

Thanks for your reply. I have not worked as student affairs advisor in a brick and mortar campus although I interact a lot with others in our college campus network who do. I am planning to compare notes more closely with how things work on their end with retention to see how it compares.

Gail Schumacher

If it is truly an academic reason, peer tutoring seems to work, or a buddying system, where the student sits next to a student during class to help with understanding and monitors their progress.

Acknowledge their efforts by giving them a certificate for either most improved, perfect attendance,and peer tutoring.

Are you doing this now, Maria? If so, how often? In what forum [classroom, all school setting, etc?] Is the award for performance in a class or all classes in the academic period?

Yes, I am chairperson of the retention committee,
and I have instructors filling out a tutoring log so I can acknowledge those students who have gone beyond in any way, such as tutoring, interpreting,most improved. I do this towards the end of a mod.It's been working very well. All instructors pick 1 or 2 students from class day and night to be a peer tutor.

I currently teach at a career college and have been doing so for the past 9 years. What my experience has taught me is that when I have a student who repeats the course, I meet with them and ask them, first, what they expect from taking the course again. I let them talk to me without saying a word. I then ask them how they are going to pass the course. Obviously, they will tell me what they didn't do last time around and what they plan to do this time around. Also, letting them know you will be there for them helps. Showing that you genuinely care helps them out too. Ltt them know that they do not want to repeat the course again.

Are these students that you taught when they failed the course? Does that make a difference in your approach to them?

Sign In to comment