Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention basics

Our school implemented stricter interaction between student and instructor. Not all retention burdens fall onto Services. This appears to be working, however, it is not 100%. Are there any other schools with this student/instructor interaction? Does it appear to be helping with retention?

Most definately. Your instructors are on the head of the lineage when it comes to retention in the classroom. Granted it begins with admissions and so on, but the instructor is the one that is speaking with the students on a day to day basis. We have more interaction between instructors and students with regard to their education and tutoring as well as active listening. We have also implemented class captains that allow the instructors and admin to find out what is happening with students when they don't want to come to us directly. It is an approach that has worked well with being able to help bring everyone together.

Instructors need to communicate with students and pay attention to the way they act in class try to stop retention issues right away not only do we need to talk to our students that are having problems but we need to get them the help they need and not ignore thier issues.

I think retention starts from day one.I think that our meet and greet at the class room doors is a great time to find out how are students are doing. On Monday when they arrive for class ask them how thier weekend went. If it didnt go well ask them if there is any thing they need help with etc. If we can help we need to take action. All my students know that I am available to help them weather it means spending extra time with them before class. Some of my students are really young and away from home the first time. Being compassionate with your students will go along way to helping retention issues.

Sign In to comment