Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can and should placement get involved in retention.

John, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this question. Placement is one of the fundamental reasons that students selected your school and probably is one of the primary ways that your school measures success. How do you think placement can involved with retention? Why should, or shouldn't, placement be involved? What impact does your departments actions have on the school's long term prosperity?

I believe that the Placement department, as all departments are, an integral part of retention. We have expanded our placement position description to include conducting Job Fairs at our schools as well as bringing the employers in as periodic guest speakers. Some of the guest speakers have been some of our graduates that have are very successful and want to hire. That alone can make a difference in the retention of current students.

Whenever you can demonstrate successful endings you are helping improve student persistence, Lisa. How do you get the students who are just starting involved with these events?

We make it part of the classroom structure. Especially during the business/proposal program. It fits right in to that area.

I believe that joj placement should be involved. I know that our campus our job placement is involved , she helps motivate our students with successful storeis of past graduats. As well has having guest speakers and having employers come to our campus to interview. By hearing stories and seeing employers come to our campus help a student from droping because then they see that if they finish the couse they as well can be successful.

Do the graduates meet with specific classes or do they have open forums to talk with students? How often do these events happen? How do you assure that all students get involved?

Sign In to comment