Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you create an effective Student Ambassador program?

Our Student Ambassador program (student leadership) has failed miserably. Students state that they don't have the time to commit to the meetings.

I would be interested to hear about other Student Ambassador programs that have been successful. What have you done to make it successful and how do you generate interest from the student body?

By letting the students run the program. Make them responsible for signing up new students, get them involved in new student orientations to talk about the program.

Celesta, how large is your ambassador program? Do you see major fluctuations in participation? Do they do anything beyond the new student orientation? Have you had any problems with them saying/doing things that might have been inappropriate?

We've recently started a Student Ambassador program about two terms ago, and we've continued to increase our membership and our student enthusiasm. One of the ways we've ensured that students have time to committ is to solicit membership from some of the well qualified federal work study students on campus. Also, we've had a series of recruitment campaigns directly in the classroom that has helped drum up interest. Finally, give the student ambassadors control by nominating or electing officers and have them run their own meetings.

Sounds like a great program. What do the Student Ambassadors do? Are they involved with the admissions process internally? Do they represent your campus at community events?

I hope you can maintain the positive energy.

We ran a similar campaign on my campus to recruit Ambassadors. We also set it up like a club. We have officers and they participate in all student activities.

What were the results, Charity? Who is responsible for the program? Do you have broad participation?

What roles do they play on your campus?

Staff members giving up their time to attend the meetings might help. Above all, there must be a total commitment from the top to support them. If they come up with an idea
1)implement it immediately
2)If it can’t be implemented immediately keep them updated with progress
3)If it is not possible, explain why.
More and more people expect instant results. Nothing will kill off a student government faster than a perception that nothing is being accomplished.

A student Ambassador program sounds like a great idea. Peer involvement makes the students being led feel as though if someone else can learn the system and thrive well enough to be a peer leader, maybe I can achieve also. A program like that could thrive at my school. I however don't see success with students heading it up. If some type of incentive could be given for students to lead others to success that might work better. Tuition reduction for example could be a driving force to help others.

Frequently, peer mentor programs are either part of an honors program or a paid position. Obviously, each approach provides different rewards but does "compensate" the participants. Would either work at your school, Carlton?

Sign In to comment