Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do we know where to draw the line when dealing with Student issues?

There are times when students come to you with personal issues totally unrelated to school. I have always done my best to help the student to be solution oriented not problem focused. I would never turn a student away telling them, "that is not my problem" but I am not sure how involved I should become?

If you care about student success, it's very difficult not to get involved students in ways that extend beyond the classroom, April. Please tell us more about how you stay solution oriented. Does your school have a formalized support system that staff and faculty can use to address these types of issues?

April, I too have faced similar situations. Since I am fairly new in my position as an academic counselor I always follow up with my director. I had a couple of situations this spring that had me " in over my head". I quickly followed up with people on campus that could support my student with their special needs.

Nancy, as you gain experience in working with students you will also gain confidence in knowing how to work with students and when to make referrals. It is important to realize when you are “in over your head” and seek help. Trying to handle everything can lead to real problems, including unwelcome exposure to liability if things turn bad. Does your school have a formalized training program to help advisors recognize when to make referrals?

We had training in opening of the year, which is why I knew I was in over my head. One of my problemswas I did not know the rest of the staff responsibilities well enough to know how to refer students. Now I do have a much better handle on how and when to refer students.

It is difficult when 'life strikes' at students, whether it is a death in the family or car issues or whatever. If it is a death or loss, I'll let the staff know. For anything else it is almost always in confidence. However, if I don't have an answer I'll take it to my supervisor. I don't believe it is a breach of confidence, and most of the time it is resolved as an issue we can assist with or one we can only listen to.

It appears that you have a very functional system in place, Kathryn. What are the circumstances under which a student will confide in you? Are you an advisor or instructor? How often does this happen?

I'm actually the Retention Coordinator. My time is devoted to tracking student hours and completion. I also set appointments between the students and instructors for progress evaluations and tutoring sessions. Due to the interaction between the students and myself some have confided in me.

The literature about retention talks at great length about the importance of students feeling connected with people within the college. Your duties put you in a great position to be one of those people, Kathryn. Keep up the good work.

I have a list of community resources that I give them that relates to their issue.

I agree that many of the personal issues that students come to us with are well out of the scope of our jobs as educators/administrators, but, I have found that most of my students appreciate the fact that there is someone that they can trust and talk to. It can get sticky however, so I am careful not to interject my opinions and/or solutions, but have resources available for the student to pursue on their own.

This is a solid template for dealing with non-academic issues, Katheryn. Helping the student clarify the problem, identify solutions and then having resources available is an effective way to support the student while staying out of the issue. Furthermore, the student is learning how to solve problems for themselves.

How frequently do these situations arise? Is it common practice at your school?

Our Student Success Department also has a list of resources to provide to the students that would relate to their issues.

How do you identify the students who need the list and then, how do make sure that they get - and use - the list?

Usually the students will come to the instructor or admissons with their issues. At that time the are directed to the Student Success Department. Then students are then give information within the community to help them with their issues.

good for you too many people wash their hands of problems and help no one !!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any guidance for April about how involved she should get?

Sign In to comment