Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention from the beginning

How do you deal with a student who is disruptive every class when they show up? The reason they are disruptive is because they have not read the material and have not prepared for the class. I've talked with the student on a one-on-one basis and have made myself available to her outside of class to answer any questions and bring her up to speed. Now what?

What are your choices, Melissa? Are you empowered to drop the student? Put her on probation? Clearly, not responding to disruptive behavior sends a very damaging message to the other students that could lead to their dropping out. Inevitably there will be some negative fall-out in these situations. You have to choose.

What do other instructors do in this circumstance?

Unfortunatly, as faculty we don't have many choices. We can pull the student aside and talk to them and we can refer them to the Director of Education. We do not have any power to drop a student. The only way they are dropped is when they violate our attendance policy. They are not allowed back in class until they meet with the proper person at the school to identify the reasons why they have missed so many classes.

When lecturing in the computer lab, I also try to stay near the student and prevent the problem behavior before it becomes disruptive for the rest of the students.

There is a coaching technique that may be helpful for disruptive students. You start by meeting with the student and defining the problem – disruptive behavior is unfair to others in the class and unacceptable. To the extent possible, outline the possible outcomes – poor grades, dismissal, etc. From this point, you work with the student to identify satisfactory alternatives, how to achieve them and the positive outcomes of the modified behavior. The final step is to provide the encouragement that the student needs to take responsibility for his/her actions, and implement the appropriate behavioral changes.

Melissa, I agree with you. The problem students I have are much less likely to "act out" if my presence is close to them.

True, Rochelle, but what will happen to these “problem students” when they go to work?

I have found that alot of "problem students" have the mind set of they are paying our salary and doing assignments that involve cleaning up in which they feel that they should not have to do.I have asked students if they act like that at their jobs and thereply I get is "no" because I am getting paid.

Presumably cleaning up is a routine part of the job they are learning - and will be a routine part of the job they hope to get.

Is there a way to help them understand this? Classroom visits from recent graduates who had a similar attitude? They can be very effective in communicating with the problem students.

Sign In to comment