Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do preadmission tests really help to identify at risk learners?

There is an ongoing discussion at my school about the value of preadmission testing. I think it would be a good way to screen for at risk students. We could then focus our retention efforts according to liklyhood of withdrawl. Any thoughts?

Preadmission testing can be a controversial topic. How do you define “at risk” students? What are the objectives of the preadmission test: to identify those who need remedial work; exclude unqualified candidates; raise admission standards, etc? What are the grades of your drop outs? Are they capable of doing the work but either lose the dream or become overwhelmed by external pressures?

Let’s hear from other participants about your practices. Do you have preadmissions tests? If so, which one(s) do you use? Why did you select that test? What were the results when you implemented the test?

I think preadmission tests are an absolute must. We are getting students who do not have any basic math or language skills and some who don't even know how to read. One student complained to me in a class that he/she didn't like it when I deducted points away from his/her paper because of misspellings. The person didn't like to spell words correctly. In the real world of office work, misspelled words on a document show a lack of professionalism and in some cases could cause an employee to lose that job. We do no favors for students if we just pass students through their academic program if they don't possess basic life skills

I agree with you, Steve, it's inappropriate to pass students who are inadequately prepared to accomplish their occupational goal. Graduation begins in admissions. Preadmissions tests can be very useful in identifying areas where incoming students may need remedial help, thus improving their chance for future academic success.

Preadmission tests would be useful in identifying students who are not academicly prepared to learn. On the other hand, they could also deter potential students who have low self-esteem and/or are fearful about the whole idea of attending college even though academicly they are able to learn the material.

Isn't that the dilemma, Peggy? What does your school do? Is there a way to qualify students without deterring them?

At any school,the value of preadmission testing would be high in the medical field. A small test for spelling skills, math skills, and reading comprehension would benefit every new student (in this paticular field). The test would help them to see their ability in the area of basic skills; before they enrolled in a difficult medical terminology, or anatomy class.

Julie, I suspect that instructors in non-medical fields would agree with you as well.

I am convinced that a preadmission test would be beneficial to identify students with inadequate skills before they enroll and meet with unavoidable problems. However, once those students are identified, a program to help them bring their skills up to par should be available. A few years ago, we had a staff member who taught a class on remedial skills. That class seemed to ease students into the college environment and gave them confidence that they could be successful. Also, that instructor naturally became their ally when they later enrolled and needed assistance.

Sounds like a good program, Cathe. Did it improve student persistence? Identifying the problem is only part of the issue. Providing ways to improve performance are needed too.

I don't have any numbers to concretely back up the claim, but I believe it really helped those students. There was a level of cameraderie among those students and the instructor which could only help their self confidence because it expanded their circle of encouragers.

Our school has an open enrollment policy. Therefore, a preadmission test would not be used to ‘raise the bar' on enrollment standards. Rather, it would serve to identify weaknesses in the skill sets of each new student. The primary purpose would be to direct students toward remedial programs aimed at strengthening those weaknesses. The ultimate goal would be to increase the chances of academic success.

Let me propose a follow-up to the original question that started this thread: In conjunction with a preadmission test, I suggest using a "graduation post-test", to be taken by seniors just prior to graduation. Such an arrangement could allow schools to measure educational outcomes (i.e. degree of change in skill sets) for individual students, as well as the degree program as a whole. (NOTE: I am not referring to a proficiency test. Passing this test would not be a requirement for graduation. This is a measuring device only.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this – pro or con?

Makes a lot of sense to me, Dennis. In addition to giving feedback about the effectiveness of the classroom training, it could be very rewarding to the student to see how far they have progressed. Often you hear students complain that I really didn't learn anything. This would clearly show the impact of the course.

I'm eager to hear the response of others. Would some faculty members be concerned that they would be evaluated on the progress made by their students?

I believe they do help, but the question remains will the school still enroll those student's anyway to get the numbers? Or will they truly try to weed out the people who are serious about school, or at least more focused.

Crystal, what's the point of having a prospective student take a preadmission test if the results will be ignored? This certainly tells the student before they begin that test results don't matter. Preadmissions test usually don't measure a prospective students seriousness or focus. Some of the best scores will come from prospects who aren't really engaged.

I agree with you, it allows you the instructor to identify the level at which your student will comprehend and provide the necessary help when needed

Josette, does your institution use pre-admission testing? If so, do you ever reject an applicant? Do you offer developmental courses?

I'm part of a fully Online program. We do pre-admission testing as a screening for academic preparedness, and offer some remedial training for those who are low scoring. I think both are necessary to ensure success with college level courses.

But, I have slightly different twist on this question, does anyone have any specific pre-admission tests to assess student suitability for ONLINE classes?

I'm not aware of any for this specific purpose, Debbie. What is your criteria to for suitability?

I agree, Joseph. I feel that the withdrawal/termination numbers at my school would decrease if we administered an entrance exam covering basic knowledge needed for our program. I feel because our only requirement right now is proof of high school completion, a lot of students enroll in the program not expecting it to be as challenging as it is. When they realize the different things they'll be learning and doing, some students are not prepared and therefore perform poorly, causing them to eventually be terminated or withdraw from the program. An entrance exam would give the student a better idea of the material they will be encountering in our program and will allow us to assess their knowledge of it as they enter the program.

Sign In to comment