Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Expectations

Make sure that admissions isn't "over selling".

This certainly is an important point, Russell, and an issue faced by many schools. How do you make sure that the message from admissions accurately reflects what happens in the classroom?

Is this an issue for anyone else?

Easily said, Russell, but the doing is in the details. How did you select these 3 actions items? Are they based on a demonstrated need? Will you make the student contacts personally? What schedule do you have for the equipment upgrades? How much will it cost? Who will participate in the equipment selection process?

Do you periodically review your school’s procedures re: retention? If so, how do these action items compare with previous action items?

Lets define overselling. Is the admissions department making false claims or simply engaging in sellers talk? A disgruntaled student is likly to blame admissions, the faculty and the lack of parking by the door for their decision to leave. Its easy for faculty to put the blame on admissions. I hear things like, "Well of course the drop out rate is high. Look what their giving us to work with." The problem of recruiting and keeping qualified students is not exclusive to any one department.

You’re quite right, Joe, that recruiting and keeping students isn’t exclusive to any one department. If departments don’t share an understanding of the school’s mission and their role in accomplishing those goals, you will have problems. Admissions must avoid “seller’s talk”; faculty must realize that students need their support. What are you doing to reconcile the differences between departments?

I think it is important for instructors to communicate frequently with the admissions staff. When you have a new student who is experiencing problems in class, talk to the person who enrolled that student. Usually during the interview process between admissions and the prospective student, the prospective student will tell the admissions person things that are happening in their life at that time, ie single parent, number of children, downsized at work, etc. As an instructor, this gives me insight into what is happening in the student's life. From that point, I try to offer guidance and encouragement. We have a saying on our board in our faculty room: "Students don't CARE how much we KNOW until they KNOW how much we CARE."

It's impossible to overstate the points you make, Paula. How you considered formalizing the flow of information about entering students from admissions to education? It's important for admissions staff to see the effect that problems have on classroom performance. Sharing this information helps create a sense that everyone is working toward the same goals.

Here is a suggestion for everyone dealing with this issue. Students are always saying "well admissions told me this". So I figured I would try the following:

On the first day of class for new students I conduct my own orientation with regards to my classroom. All my new students are given the "rules of the classroom" along with overview of the courses they will be participating in from the classroom standpoint and the overview used to sell the program to new students. Outlined also is the approximate length of homework/study hours required to successfully complete the course.

Students seem to really enjoy knowing what is coming and if it is a difficult course or not. Yes, it did require some work at the beginning but it has paid off.

So far, after four years, it is still working.

I'm sure the students enjoy knowing what lies ahead, Lillian. The investment in time at the front end should avoid a lot more time being spent putting out fires and clarifying misunderstandings. We all tend to hear what we want to hear, particularly when we are making life changing decisions, like deciding on career training. New students also don't have enough experience or knowledge about the field to accurately access the information they receive during the interview process.

Do you ever invite admissions people to sit in on these sessions?

we need to be more sympathetic to students some havent been in school for a long time they should not be pushed so hard at early events

How do you determine when a student is being pushed to hard, Rodney? At what point do you start holding them accountable to professional standards?

The saying in the faculty room is so true and as an instructor, it seems that you are committed to your students well-being. I believe that a "circle" of resources and caring individuals should surround a student as well, and certainly interfacing with other departments regarding a particular student can make a huge difference.

As far as student expectations are concerned, it would be beneficial to have students list their expectations to determine if they are on target with the overall mission/philosophy of the school and if in fact, their expectations are realistic. This information could be utilized as a proactive approach, rather than take a reactive stance to any miscommunication or potential problems down the road.

Hopefully, the process of addressing a student's expectations re: the school's mission/philosophy begins with the admissions process, Kathleen. It's unfair to the student and your faculty if students enter class with unrealistic expectations. Some schools are having prospects prepare a statement about their expected outcomes before they are enrolled. The student repeats this procedure periodically during their period of enrollment. Each time the student goes through the process they should be refining their expectations and are essentially preparing a description of the job they will seek.

Precisely. Keep a dialogue active between faculty and admissions. One thing that can really help in this regard is participating with admissions in training sessions on what makes up each department and some of the rudiments of how each separate subject/major functions, as well as in the fundamentals of those subjects. Our school has used this technique to give the admissions department the grounding they need to make genuine, informed presentations. It can also contribute to bond-building between faculty and admissions.

Johnny, well done. The admissions people must appreciate this training.

Sign In to comment