Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

retention plan

Topic 1 implies that a lack of role models for many of our students to follow negatively affects retention. How have other schools dealt with this issue and with what results?

Welcome to RT101, Les. Thanks for your interest in improving retention at your school.

As you will see in later modules, I believe very strongly that you become what you believe. First generation students frequently don't have a clear image of what they can become or how to achieve their objective of a better life. Many have a history of failure in school or the workplace. Unfortunately, for many of these students quitting is the easy solution when they encounter obstacles. Therefore, it is important to help them shape that image of success early in their period of enrollment.

I can't speak for other schools, but at the schools I've been involved with we tried to introduce students to the basic skills they will need to succeed through a life skills course. There are quite a few texts available that focus on useful skills such as time management, budgeting, study habits and communication.

Having recent graduates come back and meet with new students is another way demonstrating what can be achieved. Faculty and staff also can be powerful role models. Field trips are another way of introducing students to the career path they have chosen.

I invite future participants to also share their experience.

Role models play an important part in helping students have a clearer vision of what they can become and how to attain their goals. To provide the students with positive role models our institution uses practicing professionals to teach in the major field of study whenever possible. This works extremely well in introductory courses where we also try to utilize an instructor who is a successful graduate from our own program. Using instructors to share their experiences as students with similar issues and relating how they succeeded in the field, has been a very effective retention tool.

I think you are right on target, Jaime, using graduates for the introductory courses. Not only can they answer the question of “why do I need to know this”, they are familiar with the curriculum so they have a broad overview perspective. How much experience in the field do you look for before hiring graduates?

We require a minimum of 3-5 years of experience; with most of our instructors having considerable more.

In a good mentoring relationship, you can be a role model through both your words and your actions. By who you are, you can provide a personal window for the student on a possible future. Your ethical and professional behavior all leave a strong impression on students, as does your attitude.
Your image as a person will last longer than your words or professional achievements. The power and value of your image will depend on the efforts you have made in building honesty, trust, and good communication throughout your mentoring relationship. A student should feel they could trust your assessment, and believe their interest is significant to you.

I really like the points you raise, Moszetta. It's easy to forget the impact that each person has on a student. Regardless of the student's age, they look to us for guidance and to be role models. It's also easy to underestimate the impact of our off-hand comments on students. Thanks for the reminder.

There is no doubt that experienced teachers play a major role in retention. Students need to be constantly reinforced about what bis expected in the workforce. Negative factors must be addresed in a constructive manner to help the students realize that some practices are indeed unacceptable.

Sounds like you may by one of those “experienced teachers”, Harold. Do you have any examples or tips to share?

I agree totally with this, the experience factor helps.

Experience is important, Bishop, but what do you do for the new instructor? How do you share the wisdom that experience brings?

From an Online schools point of view; teachers and staff need to remeber to pick up the phone and call tha students

Sounds like good advice, Elizabeth, but how do you manage the contacts? Do you schedule routine contacts or do you respond to some 'event'? Is there a person who is a constant point of contact regardless of the course being taken?

In our school we do have role models because the students vary in age with a typical age of 35. The younger students are able to observe others. The older students sometimes feel that the younger ones have an advantage because they have not been out of school for so long. We also have a large immigrant population and these students come with experiences from other countries. In this case the experiences affect their education because, for example, in some countries it is considered inappropriate to question the facilitator. It would be rude. We are thinking of creating a workshop or workshops on such topics Education in Canada and The Workplace in Canada to bring understanding to these students. In fact, all students could benefit because the students are at times unrealistic as to expectations. Different generations behave differently and we are needing to address these differences.

This type of cultural awareness should also be valuable to graduates when they enter the workplace where they will encounter even greater diversity. Do you try to educate your students about important holiday observations of the different populations?

We approach (attack) retention with a team effort. The Instructor is the first line. If he has a student that fails a test or misses time, he coaches the student and encourages tutoring or any form of help that he can give. The Instructor also gets his supervisor in the loop. This additional coaching from management gives the student more encouragement that we really do care about his success. This caring one-on-one approach (attitude)could be the first time a student has had someone show this kind of interest in them. This approach has improved our retention rate over the last 18 months.

Very thorough system, Tim. Bravo! What percentage of the students receive this treatment? Has that number changed over the last 18 months?

the school that I work at has a retention plan which envolves all the staff. for issues that take any amount of time there is a full time staff person to work with the students. having one person only focused on retention seems to have better retention rate.

Tell us more about this position, please. Who does he/she report to? How is their performance measured? How do students connect with this person?

David and Loren, At my particular school, retention is a huge issue. We have two full time student success managers who monitor both academic success along with financial and other personal issues that may get in the way of success. We must also call each student that is absent from class. We also have an internal portal system (it is called 'blinker')that we are asked to comment on each day. All this seems to work, but it is an ongoing exercise.

Sign In to comment