Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Goals and Motivation | Origin: CS126

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Goal Setting and Motivation Strategies for Career Professionals --> Understanding Goals and Motivation 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

There are different types of goals. The more challenging the goal may lead to a feeling of overwhelmed, which may lead to stress or paralysis of achieving the goal.  Setting approaching goals rather than avoidance goals are the ones that will lead to a better learning experience. Goal setting is necessary and should be done specifically with a system in place to achieve the end-state goal/result.

Not all goals serve the same purpose. Additionally, not all goals will require the same focus or action to be accomplished. The purpose of the goal will effect the path to achieving the goal. It is important to set challenging but not overwhelming goals. Learners can set their goals by accessing their skill level and breaking down long term goals, 

I believe the Approach-oriented goals involve reaching or maintaining desired outcomes. Avoidance goals focus on avoiding or eliminating undesired outcomes. Although both types of goals are common in our lives and both are functional, one goal-type is associated with more happiness than the other. 

It's important that we take the time to form specific goals with our students and meet them where they are. If the students don't have the motivation to reach a goal, or if they think it's too much, or even if they just don't know where to begin, it's our responsibility as staff to guide them in a way that allows them to set, maintain, and reach achievable goals for themselves and their careers.

I have learned that setting realistic goals for the student and myself in order to be more successful

How do I plan to apply?

Be a better listener and ask the question to the student as to their why? Why did you want to become a... Be more consistent and in from of the students.

Focus on the process not the outcome resonated with me as far as finding more extern sites and jobs for our students . I have felt very overwhelmed when I see the number of students and how few sites I have for them to complete clinicals. I will start working on the process and set more specific goals like # of calls per day and make specific # of cold calls. This may help me not feel so overwhelmed. 

Relationship between goals and motivation is reciprocal. They go hand in hand when pursuing goals. It is important that our motivation and mind state matches the goal. It is important for us to know how to motivate ourselves to be able to influence / guide the students to try, reflect, and how to act on it. It is also important to identify the type of goals the students have, if it is short term, long term, or end state to be able to assist and understand them. 

Having a goal for me is about being systematic and thinking about how I myself will get the results that I need. For example, I need to think about and act on stratageies to get to the results I am looking for. Goals are important for the short term and the long term. Don't get so bogged down with too many goals that you lose sight of the main goal.

I consistently work at reframing the goal from avoidance to approach, I make an implementation intention to act on a specific day at a specific time.
I focus on the positive and the progress I make with each action. I don't give in to feel good, I rest and take a break but I always go back focus on my goals.

Goals are like blueprints or road maps; you take a look at the bigger picture, they get you from one point to another. Goals provide the picture or direction you need to reach your destination, keeping motivation to reach the end goal, and not loose sight of it while in the process. Step by step. You'll get to the finish line, and achieve that goal.

I learned that Goals are very important, it is our responsibility to share the importance of goals with the students and how to achieve them. It is important to make them specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and place a timeframe. 

Setting goals, are different, and not all are the same. There are goals that require achieving a certain purpose as in placements for student s and staying connected with students. setting my goals will help me stay in good habits in my day to day. to better assist my students with processes and obtainable goals.

Understanding your subject matter and how they process goals is important to know which approach is best used. For me, making this first step in choosing the goal whether in my personal and professional life is important. 

I learned from this module is always think the positive side. Everything will be in place as long as you have motivation & goals.

The concept of motivation and goals . Be a better listener and be realistic . 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities