Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Job Search Preparation | Origin: CS119

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Modern Job Search Strategies --> Job Search Preparation 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I really liked the handouts that were used in  this section. 

Teaching job search preparation involves emphasizing the importance of researching the job market, crafting tailored application materials, developing an effective online presence, and practicing interview skills. Job seekers need to understand current job market trends, customize their resumes and cover letters, optimize their online presence, and hone their interview techniques. By providing guidance, resources, and practical exercises, I aim to equip individuals with the necessary skills and knowledge to navigate the job search process successfully.

What I did not previously know about job seeking is that there needs to be an end goal. If someone is seeking a job at entry level just because they are desperate for a job, they will not meet the requirements for their long-term goal, or for the goal of the company. I will apply what I've learned by helping my students set up a goal sheet with their target in mind, and have them list the steps they will need to take to get there. Writing down and keeping track of their job searching progress will help in the long run as they near the finish lines of school.

I will be saving all of the provided resources to share with our students! I really appreciate how they make you think more about what you are looking for instead of just diving into a job board as a first step. Many times, students get frustrated because they come to me having only referred to Indeed. They haven't even taken a moment to discover the "what", "where", etc. of their new potential job. I am looking forward to using these tools to better assess where each student is at so I can help set them on the right path to finding a job they enjoy!

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities