Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

LGBTQ Students’ Unique Challenges | Origin: CS111

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for LGBTQ Students --> LGBTQ Students’ Unique Challenges

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

If treated equally, they will be held to the same professional standards as the rest of the employees and there should not be problems.  

First of all, I am not shocked but disappointed that my state does not have protection of rights for members of the LGBTQ community.  All citizens deserve protection under the law...even in the workplace.

This country, my state, has a long way to go in treating people fairly.  It is definitely the barriers are more entrenched in some areas than in others.

I wish the LGBTQ community had the same protections in the workplace.

Haven't necessarily learned anything new - good to be reminded about the challenges faced by people who believe/feel/act differently than what some groups or individuals consider the norm.  It's sad that we have to create laws to protect the rights of certain groups who should already be given the rights provided by the constitution.  Good to reflect on ones own possible biases towards others.

I have always been taught to treat people how I want to be treated. Everyone should be given the same opportunities in the work place no matter what. It is sad that they are still facing discrimination but hopefully one day these discriminations will be behind us. 

The video was very helpful in better understanding the differences between gender identity and gender expression.  Sometimes we may become so focused on trying to understand laws specific to the state where we live, we may lose sight of the importance of understanding differences across states.  The LGBTQ topic reminded me of the importance of recognizing differences since some states may offer more protection and therefore be more appealing job locations for some individuals.

Gained information on geneter identity vs gender expression as well as which states have laws geared towards the LGBTQ community.

People need to be treated equally regardles of who you and what tjey desire to be and and i it' a se that we have a big portion of soceity that doe not repsect the LBGQ ! 

It is unfortunate to lose the potential of people based on their choices or identity. We all have so much to offer! Let's get on with healing the world and utilize everyone's talents and skillset.

I learned the various states that have laws prohibiting discrimination against LGBTQ individuals.  I can use this knowledge when working with students who may pursue employment opportunities in different states.

Thankfully, these are already areas I know about, I am interested in the next section and the responses to these situations.

Individuals should be held to the same professional standards regardless

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities