Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Career Services Strategies | Origin: CS110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for Students with Disabilities --> Career Services Strategies

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I found the websites and resources to be helpful along with the disability considerations assessment. 

I thnk it is important to bring tolight "unconscious bias" and how it can affect us as teachers, counselors, and employers.  I also think it is important to help students with "postiive framing", since low self-esteem and negative thoughts are such an issue with students. 

When discussing job outcomes, we must not try to steer any student from any career choice...this even includes students with disablities.

Being aware of resources to assist disabled student is a win-win for counselors and students  Reframing beliefs is the process of altering your thought process to reflect positive energy.   This framing technique will empower students to be more self-confident and self-relient. 

I think being more aware of the resources available to the diables community is very helpful.

I found the JAN website to be extremely helpful.  I also found the information on unconscious bias helpful.  I have been guilty of thinking "she'll never get that job" and I need to be aware of my own biases when working with my students.

The resource list is very helpful to have available when working with students.  The unconscious bias video was a good reminder and could be shared with coworkers.  

I liked the way a person  should develop positive self-esteem is through a thought process called "positive reframing.” Positive reframing is when a person changes their irrational or negative beliefs to rational, or more realistic and positive.

I was able to learn that there are many techniques for helping disabled job seekers stay positive through the process.

I appreciated all of the resources, I was not aware there were so many, those tools can be beneficial.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities