Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the Demographics of the Disabled Population | Origin: CS110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for Students with Disabilities --> Understanding the Demographics of the Disabled Population

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I am shocked by the number of U.S. veterans with a service-connected disability is estimated at 3.6 million. It is interesting to me that the data shows individuals with a disability are more likely to work in production, transportation and material moving occupations and less likely to work in management, professional and related occupations, when compared to their nondisabled counterparts. I will be more conscious of the physical barriers that individuals may face:

• Programmatic Barriers - A lack of access to programs and services due to organizational policies and procedures that do not take disability-related issues into account.
  • Legislative Barriers – A lack of effective legislation support to adequately address the rights of disabled individuals to full participation in society and the workplace.
  • Information Barriers – A lack of access to information not distributed/displayed in ways that take into account the needs of those with disabilities.
  • Productive Disposition and Behavior Barriers – A low self-esteem, a lack of self-management skills, or a lack of effective organizational or social skills.
  • Personal Barriers – Barriers related to personal circumstances such as financial barriers, criminal background, etc. which may be disproportionately amplified by their disability, compared to their nondisabled counterparts.

I was reminded how people with disabilities are treated in the workplace.  They could be treated as "second-class" citizens or others feel sorry for them..leading to feelings of inferiority or patronizing attitudes.  Some people display fear when dealing with those with disaiblities, for reasons such as not wanting to offend the person or just not interacting with the person at all.  I think the biggest statment to take away from this section is focus on the person's ABILITY and not the disability.  

From my experience, people with disabilities are treated much differently from their fellow co-workers without desiring to be treated that way.  Many of my coworkers who have disabliltites don't want to be singled out or pampered.  I had tw coworkers in the past who had no use of their left arms who still carried their own boxes, etc. and would get offended when people insisted on carrying things for them.  I have both arms and let people carry my things for me.  BUT I truly understand their drive to not be treated like they are helpless

As a non-disabled person, I was aware ihe many barriers disabled person have to deal with.  Yes physical barriers and employment barriers exist. The most damming barrier is the attitudinal barriers. Even though there are laws in place to protect the rights of individuals  with disabilities The daily challenges they face from programmatic barriers to personal barriers.are extreme.   

I never knew there was a term that described the non obvious barriers they face!

I knew that there were many challenges that disabled people face every day. I agree with what others have stated here, that attitudinal barriers are the most damaging and difficult to deal with.  I will try harder not to make assumptions and focus on the person, not the disability.

I appreciated the reminder to look at the whole person so they are not defined by their disability. I was surprised at the high unemployment rates for individuals with a disability.  I also think it's important to look deeper to consider how the possibility of low self-esteem can amplify potential barriers for individuals with a disability. 

The disabled population tends to be older and females tend to have higher rates of disability than males.

I was able to learn that there are lots of barriers with persons with disabilities.

I was surprised by the high rate of unemployment and to discover that most worked part-time.  It is very naive to think that, but while I perceived that it would be difficult to find employment, I thought - particularly here in the US - that we were addressing these issues much better than we apparently do.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities