Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Event Programming

Identify at least one new event programming idea you learned in the course that you would like to see your institution implement (Job Skills Olympics, Job Fairs, Networking Mixers, Industry/Alumni Speakers, Intern/Extern/Volunteer Fairs). How do you believe this would improve graduate employment outcomes?

I would like to see our Institution implement Industry/Alumni Speakers and Networking Mixers as event programming to support our students in learning more about employment opportunities and achieving successful employment upon graduation.

I believe implementing these two event programs would foster a greater sense of community involvement and lead to higher graduate employment placement rates. Additionally, I believe students would feel they have an advantage in obtaining employment and they would gain confidence in this knowledge and from their interactions during these events.

I would love to implement the job skills Olympics. I feel with the type of students we have the hands on would greatly motivate and teach them much needed skills.

One new event programming idea I learned and would like to implement is the job skill competition event. This is a great opportunity to bring out the competitive nature of students so that they can push each other in improving their skills.

Chasminh, job skill competition events not only benefit the participants, but other students on campus can learn as well. Keep everyone on campus informed of events and timelines, invite non-participating students to be spectators or judges. This will help raise the awareness of the career center and may help other students feel more comfortable with the advisors. Can you think of any other benefits?

Vivian, student - employer interaction can be a powerful learning experience. Not only will students gain real world perspective from their conversations, they will gain confidence and not feel as intimidated when speaking to an employer during an interview. Have you organized or participated in an event that produced these results?

Lazara, most students learn by doing. A great best practice is to conduct mock interviews and host a dress for success day. Can you think of another event that would help teach job skills?

I believe that job skills Olympics would something new and very effective, I will suggest to my institution, so we can start this type of event ASAP, .

Manuel,

Please check back to let us know how the job skills Olympics work for your institution. You can also share your ideas and get best practices from others when you visit the Career Lounge.

Sheri Leach

I would like to see our school implement regular industry/alumni speakers. I believe these opportunities would provide students with a true sense of the "work world reality", increased confidence through opportunities to interact with industry professionals/alumni and a feeling that these opportunities may give them "a leg up" over other candidates in terms of being hired. Ultimately, I believe that these opportunities would increase our overall placement rate.

Cathy,
I agree that student interactions with industry professionals and successful alumni helps improve overall placement rates. These interactions can take various forms. Casual interactions such as having the speakers join the students for lunch provides a intimate atmosphere in which the students may feel more comfortable asking questions and will be rewarded with straight forward answers. Other functions like a panel of speakers will help provide students with different points of view or will help solidify a particular point. A great starting point would be to ask some of your go-to employers to speak to a class or ask an instructor to arrange a time with an industry colleague. What other opportunities can you think of to bring students and industry speakers/alumni together? Is anything standing in your way of implementing this initiative?

Sheri Leach

Some of the teachers use panels in their classes but I think it would be beneficial for all the applicable teachers to implement this opportunity. We just completed a curriculum review recently and bringing employers/alumni into the classroom on a regular basis will become a reality.

Cathy,

Working so closely with the instructors/the education department is truly one way to increase overall placement rate. I appreciate that your institution has a curriculum review and follows up on areas that are needed. Let us know if you have any challenges and/or suggestions as you move forward.

Sheri Leach

Job skills olympics--I think something like this lets the student have fun while learning and I feel that this is very very important!

Missy,

What idea do you have that would be a good event?

Sheri Leach

After working on this program I would like to bring in Industry speakers and Alumni Speakers. I have been a part of a nursing school for the past years and think there would be many successful nurses working in the community who would be willing to speak to classes. Also, I would like to ask the graduates to be guest speakers at the graduation ceremonies especially if they are now managers or directors. I think that way the students can meet the successful nurse and have the opportunity to ask questions.

Judi, there is definitely great value to having industry professionals speak to our students and graduates. In the familiar setting of their classroom, students will feel comfortable asking questions. When they have their questions answered, they will feel more confident and ready to pursue their career. And let's face it, oftentimes Carer Services and the instructors are like mom and dad and the students don't listen hard to everything we say. But, have a guest come and deliver the message the students just may take it to heart.

Another best practice, as you mentioned, is having successful alumni speak in the classroom or at graduation. Other students will identify with them and they will feel inspired and motivated.

I know one campus that hosts a Professional Development Day the month before their nurses graduate. They invite a panel consisting of a graduate, and up to 3 employers that have openings or anticipate job openings. The employers are always different from each other. For example, a staffing agency, a long term care facility and a hospital. Each panel member speaks for 5-10 minutes about their environment and the culture of their company. The students can ask questions. Then there is a time to network and an opportunity to discuss resumes, and set up interviews times, etc. It has been so successful that each graduating class looks forward to their day, and alumni have requested to come back to be a member of the panel.

Hi Missy

I've job fairs before at our school, but I think I'm going to try that job skills olympics that does look like fun.

Felicia,

I agree with you and Missy. If they students are having fun, they will be more engaged and will learn and retain more- since they won't none fighting it! Our campuses host a Career Fest Week once a quarter. This event is for in house students and the idea is to teach the soft skills in a fun, non-threatening environment. The entire school is involved and fun activities are planned to teach the basics: dress for success fashion show, mock interviews/interview skits, resume contests, employer panels. All are planned with fun, food and prizes! The week usually ends with a job fair so the students can practice what they learned. What are other fun activities that will help teach soft skills to your students?

Sheri Leach

During the course I was think to implement Job Skill and Program Knowledge Olympic. This will allow for the students to show what they learned in the program and thru Career Services interventions.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities