Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Enrollment Management and Graduate Employment Outcomes

Does your institution currently consider how enrollment management plans impact employment rates, or is there often a discrepancy between the goals of admissions and the goals of career services? How would you recommend this gap be closed, and/or what strategies has your organization successfully implemented?

Our institution unfortunately does not consider the impact of management plans toward employment rates. As you may hear quite often admissions is a numbers game. It is very difficult to intergrade career services and admissions. We have been trying for years to combine the two without success. We always meet our placement goals and it surprises me.

Our organization implemented a rule that all new student enrolled has to meet career services before starting classes, And all students need to meet at least twice a month with career services to build a strong relationship and develop a personalized plan for each student. Admissions department and career services work together as a team

Manuel,
I am encouraged to hear that in your organization Career Services and Admissions work closely together. Institutions that provide a "total campus environment" where all departments work towards educating the students on employability factors have the most successful student employment outcomes. What makes this partnership so successful on your campus?

Sheri Leach

My team has recently been involved in enrollment management. I am actually on a committee that will suggest and present programs to be added to the school. I think this will be a success because I have great information (my placement numbers) that will help my campus to see what area for improvement and industries that are growing (additional programs).

Stephanie,
This is a fine example of how departments can help each other and work together for the benefit of the institution and the students. Your knowledge of industry trends and employment opportunities is beneficial in helping the institution to determine which programs to offer that can lead to successful employment for the students.

Sheri Leach

At the moment, the Career Services dept and Admissions are not working together and planning for the best outcomes. My guess is that right now the school Director to whom CS reports is working with Admissions to plan strategies based on the data provided by CS.
I think it would be helpful to include CS into the conversation so that we are aware of admissions' goals and can work alongside them to reach the goals of the school as a whole. I have found it to be very odd that we don't work more closely with admissions since it seems like such an obvious way to work more efficiently. In this year's strategic plan we added building a relationship with admissions and sharing information together.
Is it common to have this gap between Career Services and Admissions?

Viola,
Yes, this is common in many organizations. There are several things you can do to help build a partnership with Admissions. Both departments have the best interests of the student in mind, but once everyone realizes that both jobs are similar it will be easier to move forward. Both CS and Admissions are relationship builders, both reach out to their clients (prospective students and prospective employers), via phone calls and then arrange meetings. Both teams have goals and outcomes they are working towards and both teams can be motivated and encouraged in the same way.

Think of ways the two departments can help each other. CS can attend Admissions meetings and update the Admissions team as to job opportunities that are available for students and share student success stories. Admissions can then share this information during their interviews with prospective students for a more impactful interview. CS can attend Admission open houses and arrange for employers to be present to talk to prospective students and their families. Since the Admissions team often has strong relationships with students once they enroll, Admission team members can help CS contact hard to reach graduates, or can assist in counseling students /graduates who are not taking advantage of job opportunities being offered to them. The Director of Admissions can do phone training or training on how to overcome objections with the CS team. These are just a few best practices ideas to help CS and Admissions work together.

Continue to look for ways the two departments can assist each other. Changing the culture of an organization won't happen overnight, but with some patience and persistence you can make a difference.

Sheri Leach

The leadership within my organization does a good job at articulating the admissions goals and also how it will assist the career service efforts. Additionally, all divisions within my organization holds themselves accountable and does a great job assisting the student through out the student life cycle. Furthermore, education provides many employer leads and referrals and is very collaborative in their efforts to be apart of the overall organizational placement team.

Shannon,

The institution as a whole is more successful (with enrollments, retention, placement outcomes, and repayment of student loans) when all departments work together for the benefit of the student. Many institutions struggle to acheive this result. What is one piece of advice you can give to schools that are trying to do what you have done? or, specifically, how did your organization get to the place where Education is providing employer leads?

Sheri Leach

Our institution has gotten a lot better at considering how enrollment management plans impact employment rates. For one thing, we look at grad dates, not just the start dates. They are now considering the length of time (how many months) that career services has to place some programs...especially if that program requires licensure in order to obtain a job. We ensure that these difficult programs don't have May-June grad dates for accrediation purposes. Admissions also includes career services in their school tour with the prospective student. The student gets to meet the advisors and have an opportunity to ask any questions.

Admissions does have the mindset that placement is the student's goal and they seek career services if they have questions regarding the employability of a prospective student especially if that student has a prior criminal record.

Career Services is also involved with the feasability of what new programs to add...what placement outcomes in this market.

Ruth, being mindful of grad dates and accreditation reporting dates is huge. Making this kind of change is a big step for an institution. Any words of advice on how to bring about this change?

The institution is more successful if all the departments work together. Some programs require longer periods of time for placement due to credentialling requirements. The entire institution has to understand this placement timeline and assist career services to increase their placement outcomes. Communication is key.

Ruth,

A variety of programs require certifications or licenses before a graduate can become employed on their field of study. Is there anything that can be done for the graduate while they are awaiting their credentials?

Sheri Leach

The graduate can try to get a position that is closely related to their program and that this position does not need a license. Then when the graduate gets their license they can be promoted.

Our institute currently does not consider how the enrollment management plans impact employment rates. There seems to be different goals from both career services and admissions. I would recommend that admissions and career services would meet up more regularly and compare and share goals to see where we are at.

Ruth,

This is true. Institutions who have strong extern/intern programs and Career Services Teams who have meaningful relationships with employers do this regularly. As a result, their placements outcomes are higher because of this practice. Graduates are usually happier and more satisfied, since they are employed sooner with the knowledge that they will be working in their field once they pass their licensure exam. This in turn reduces their stress and they are more successful on their exams.

Sheri Leach

Carol,

That is a solid plan. I would recommend having an agenda for the first meeting and outline of how the two departments can help each other. What is your first reaction, do you think the idea will be well received?

Sheri Leach

As part of an initial lead call career service sis touche don so that the student begins to know what is available to them. Upon a campus tour, careers services is integrated into the tour and the student is able to spend time with the Career Services representative.

Kayla ,

This is a great best practice. This way the students are introduced to career Services from the beginning and the trust and bond can begin to develop. It is then up to the Career Services professionals to grow that relationship while the student is on campus. A few ways to do this, email, Facebook or tweets to check in, a quick hello in the hall or classroom, invite a group to meet with you for coffee. Any other ideas?

Sheri Leach

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities