Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Third party employment verifiers

I have found out that now we will have to have a third party verify our work. Sometimes it's hard enough to get students to call you back and now we have to pay for someone else to come in and do the same thing we are already doing?
One other barrier to employment that wasn't mentioned in this first topic is drugs. The government doesn't require a student to be drug free when they apply for FAFSA but we are required to assist them in finding work even when we know they aren't drug free. I don't think someone should be given a school loan through our tax dollars if they can't be drug free.

Hi Janet,

Your forum discussion highlights a current growing trend in that institutions are using third party employment verifiers mainly to ensure compliance by having a non-biased, third party objectively review graduate employment documentation. As you mention, there are pros and cons to this service. One potential consequence could be redundancies in work while another discussed among many career services professionals is the potential for third party service providers to damage relationships with employers or graduates because of more frequent communication with them which can be perceived as invasive, annoying or burdensome by employers and graduates. Additionally, the institution has very little control over the quality of customer service representatives of the third party employment verifier demonstrate. These are all real challenges that must be evaluated when using such services.

Whereas "Drugs" specifically are not mentioned as a barrier to employment in the course, they would fall under the classification of "Barriers Related to Personal Circumstances" mentioned in the course as an overarching classification in which many specific barriers could fall. As the course mentions, other examples of the numerous barriers that could fit into this classification could be "a criminal background, health issues, a disability, or even a history of poor relationships with authority figures which could amplify poor engagement with staff." There are many barriers to employment, particularly when serving a higher at-risk population.

Thank you for raising this issue. It deserves attention and discussion.

Robert Starks Jr.

Does anyone work with a company that does this foryour school/department?

Stephanie ,

Are you referring to institutions that use an outside company to verify their placements? This is such a hot topic right now and schools are trying to find their way through the minefield, as new rules and regulations are being enacted. I personally am aware of some schools that are using third party verifiers. There are several ways this is being implemented in the field. Some schools have the 3rd party verifiers verify all of their placements. Some have the outside company verify a percentage of their placements. What each institution needs to ask itself is, what is it trying to accomplish and at what level. Can you identify some pros and cons of each model?

Sheri Leach

Sheri,
That is my questions exactly. I can identify one pro for each case.

Using a 3rd party Pro
This will allow my team (we are 2) to have more time devoted for career activities.

Not using a 3rd Party
My team can have more of a hand in controlling the outcome.

Stephanie ,

You stated a valid reason for each case. However, Do you think that by not using a 3rd party verifier and controlling the outcome defeats the purpose of why an institution would choose to use the 3rd party verifierIn the first place?

Sheri Leach

I have worked with third party verification in the past. I believe that most schools are turning to a 3rd party verification process as well. The process helps to ensure compliance and can lessen the burden on Career Services staff in obtaining particular paperwork to serve as back-up documentation when reporting placement data. Preparing employers for a 3rd party verification call/e-mail, etc. is critical to the success of this model. We continue to follow-up with surveys and phone calls to employers so that we can measure the quality of our graduates post-employment. We see the 3rd party verification company more as compliance driver.

Erin,
Since many of the industry accreditors are requiring 3rd party verification, schools are moving towards 100% outside verifications. I agree that one of the challenges is making the employer aware that this will occur. Many times employers are reluctant to talk to someone other than the person at the campus, who they have a relationship with. Is there a particular best practice you can share in this area?

Sheri Leach

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities