Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grad Placement Recognition

In these tough placement times, I wanted to help commend the graduates on their job "wins" by going to their place of business and dropping off a Congrats balloon, and CCNN mug filled with Chocolate, etc. My reason being three fold: to recognize the grad, to meet the employer and obtain a new or reinforced contact and to let other employees know that we are proud of our graduates. We have been adding to staff in my department and I hope to get out with my new staff in the next couple of weeks to begin this concept of recognition. Will let you know the results!

HI Tonya, This sounds so great. The grad is getting recognized, especially as they are starting their job and you are developing a relationship with the employers. Relationships take on-going maintenance. That means keeping in touch, emailing them, asking them questions about what a work-ready grad looks like, and recruiting their employees to train at your school. The employer can also visit the school and conduct mock interviews and more to help you increase retention. Very nice. Susan

Tonya , what a great idea...also sounds like a great time for a photo op :)
Jeane

Hi Jeane
There are so many photo opportunities if we just walk around our schools and discover them. Graduation time is a natural for some extra publicity. The names and credentials of grads can be sent to employers, posted on websites, sent in brochures (with grads' permission of course). And notices about each grad can go to local news media. We think that grads should be turned into alumni as soon as they graduate. Will keep them affiliated with the school. This impacts on enrollment, retention, and placement. Always a way to get the word out and attention directed to your school. Thanks, Susan

It's a great idea! It not only advertises the history and relationship with the employer and graduate, it also contributes towards building high esteem and confidence levels with the graduate. By conquiring the "fear of the unknown" they can feel good about integrating into the employment market.

Interesting point about the grad's confidence level. We feel that students start getting fearful as they complete their last classes. They finally figured out how to be students and have become safe and comftable in school. Now they have to leave and enter the job search market. Pretty scary. So it helps if they have skills and eventually the confidence. That's why we feel employment skills takes a long time to develop and students and grads need a lot of hand holding. And it's all ok if the result is the the job. Thanks

Great idea! Majority of or placements are in other states. I look forward to hearing how this works out for you. When the economy rebounds, I would like to implement this concept!

Always a challenge when placements are out of the immediate area of the school. On the other hand, it is an opportunity to reach employers and prospective employers you would not ordinarily get to know. And they can be a source for more jobs and also more students. And a pulse on the local time market where they are located. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities