Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How Much Is Enough?

I try to go the extra mile and help students.

I have free computers with Internet access and half a dozen resume templates.
Links to multiple job boards.

As well I subscribe to job post that are updated daily and then maintain contact with employers and potential employers.

I role-play with students before they go on interviews and cover etiquette and dress code. I make sure the students Google earth and map quest addresses.

I hold a monthly career services workshop and Q & A that are open to anyone.

Is there anything else I should be doing that can make a positive difference for students and graduates?

James

Hi James
Wow. You have quite an offering and should be very proud. You probably have a great placement stats. What kind of surveys are you using and what are you doing with the stats? The info can be great for admissions reps, particularly if you show them how to use it. Can you share the list of websites and resources with the rest of us? With such well trained grads you might want to think about holding job fairs at your school. Invite employers to select from the best.
Best wishes
Susan

I'm sure they really appreciate you! How do the workshops go? I'm interested in holding similar workshops but I don't know if/how it will work. Most of our students already work and come to school and don't have a lot of free time.

Hi Deborah
If the workshop is really valuable you'll figure out a way to hold it. Maybe instructors will give you 15 minutes at a time from their classes. Or schedule during lunch break. Or hold online workshops. Have to think creatively to meet everyone's needs. Best wishes, Susan

I think your set up is great. I have a extra computer in my office that the students can use as well.

HI Furman
Having internet accessible computers throughout the school will make your resources available to students wherever they are. Of course if they have to go to the Placement Office that does give you a chance to see and talk with them and formally or informally check on how they are doing. Great, Susan

Unfortunately, my desire to help students with placement is inversely proportional to their need for same. That is, the more motivated and proactive a student is toward his job search, the more I want to hold his hand and give him leads, individual contacts, etc. The more a student wants a job handed to him, the less likely I am to put in the extra effort. Although it is tempting to teach unmotivated students a lesson by not giving them my best effort, it is just those students who need the most help.

HI Lois, Interesting point. What is the difference between a motivated and unmotivated student when it comes to the job search? Does the student show the same level of motivation or non motivation in the class room? An interesting study? In the meantime, it would be helpful to get some clues about what will motivate students to do all the tasks required in the job search. What about a providing a list of what they have to do and identifying where they stop? Maybe the task is too difficult, they don't understand, etc. Just a thought. Thanks, Susan

You can never have enough options our their to graduates. Everyone learns differently and is looking for different things or avenues to pursue a job. Having a lot of options allows you to hit a broader spectrum of diverse people.

HI Tiffany, Interesting point. Typically for each program you teach there are specific jobs available to the grads. True that there is range of job opportunities in the "entry-level" category. And some students are better performers than others and better interviewers and so get the better jobs. Thanks, Susan

James,

It's difficult to say how much is enough. I think whatever is in the realm of plausible possibility. We do many similar things in my department. Here are some of our offerings:

We offer a daily job opening newsletter that I create specific to our industry.

I conduct exit interviews, mock interviews, and one-on-one resume revisions.

We hold alumni events every other month which include: meet and greets with industry employers, contests, and industry panels.

We hold workshops on resume writing, interviewing, and job searching.

We are also actively engaging with employers in our community through visits to their places of business.

This is great James. You are showing that the Career Services/Placement/Alumni departments have multiple functions and must serve students on an ongoing basis and not just when the student reaches the end of training. In fact, we believe that employment skills and job search training should be required. Then there are results for all involved - student, school, and employer. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities