Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Fantastic idea, MariaElena. Putting students in job search teams works on so many levels. They have helpers and mentors in each other. They can share their fears. And practice skills and ask each other questions without feeling too embarassed. We believe that you have to get rid of the job search fear before there can be results. The balloon exercise is perfect. Thanks for sharing your placement secrets. Best wishes, Susan

Hi Chris-
I'm all for spoon feeding and hand holding but...if we teach them "HOW TO FISH, THEY'LL KNOW HOW TO FISH FOR LIFE"...Essentially, they will have the skills necessary. I have set interviews for prospects/students and for employers at our site & their site or a local facility. I attempt to coordinate whatever is needed to ensure they get a job and the employer is also satisfied.
I strongly try to empower & encourage the students/grads with client lists as well as googling new companies. I also utilize a hard copy job order book for job search that provides updated and more detailed info for searching. However, in documenting a job order, I try to ensure that we don't impose on the employer by asking the question: "Will you accept direct contact from a prospect/student?" In this way, I can be certain not to impose on the employer and jeopardize our relationship. Good Luck, Michele

Great techniques, Michele. If we all followed what you do all career school placement departments would be outstanding. What your comments brought up to us is the importance of relationship building and sustaining the relationship with the employer. You're doing a great job. Thanks, Susan

We like to follow-up with our graduates every 2-3 weeks, as well. While following up with the graduates, we are asking them where have they submitted their resume, where have they applied, etc. We try to make sure our graduates understand our job is to "assist" them in finding placement services.
We love the word "ACCOUNTABILITY & RESPONSIBILITY" around here!

Hi Kimberly
Sounds like a great plan to follow grads every few weeks. There are a lot of benefits as long as you track results. You can discover things like what helps them be successful in their job search, what frustrates them, where did they lack information or skills to be successful, what would make a difference. Then use the information to design better career services. Keeping in touch could help with job retention. So your school will get known not only for great candidates but for employees that stay and contribute to the company. Lots of opportunities for everyone when you stay in touch with grads. Makes the Career Services Department essential in any school. Best wishes, Susan

Our placement department offeres placement assistance. So our students know up front they will have to contribute in their job search. We give them the tools and it's up to them to land the job. We can't get the job for them. It's a team effort. What I like to say is "I'll do 40% of the work but are going to do 60% of it. Students/Grads do tend to get lazy and it is hard transistion for them, but you have to be up front with them from the bery beginning. Let them know you are there for Assistance.

Hi Jere, This issue comes up from time to time. How much assistance should be provided and how much responsibility for getting a job lies with the student? We still believe that grads need a lot of skills plus a lot of hand holding. We believe they have to be trained in the job search, goaded, motivated, encouraged, and more to get to the interview successfully. And when not successful then prepared even more. Every one is a winner when every grad gets placed. Thanks, Susan

This reminds me of the old addage "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." In my opinion a Placement Department should spend much of its energy making individual Placement Officers superfluous. If you can teach the person how to write their own resume, if you can teach the person how to write a good coverletter, if you can teach the person how to network for a job, etc., then you've provided that person with skills that could benefit him/her for a lifetime.

Good points, Jason. In a career school students enter and graduate frequently during the year. So there are always new students to train. And the training should certainly be so effective that the student is confident and has skills to seek employment. Career services staff also need to reach out to the community on a day to day basis. That means developing and sustaining relationships with current employers plus development of new employers. Career services are essential to a school, in our opinion. They impact on admissions, student success, job placement, and community outreach. Thanks, Susan

I feel it is not only in the placement department and writing resumes and educating on job search techniques. I believe that placement begins all the way in the beginning from the classroom to externship then to placement. The techniques and information a student needs to know about themselves to better project themselves as well as help create their resume it all boils down to consistency in teaching them this techniques in class every week the teacher touching base or including in the curriculm a little piece of the puzzle throught put their program so when they reach placement assitance they are not only more knowledgable they know themselves better and with that said builds a stronger confidence within the student which in turns enhances their overall job search techniques in every way from persistence in finding a job " they know they will" from creating a resume "they know themselves" to "Acing an interview" they know who they are have the skills and techniques and know the job is for them. Hope some of this info was helpful

Joyce,
We totally agree. Placement discussions begin at admissions! We also think that employment skills training is an every day matter. It should be happening in the classrooms and hallways. Fun contest-like events can help to focus awareness on the job search process. There are lots of clever ways to teach needed skills for placement success. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities