Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What are the best techniques to keep students motivated?

I think one of the biggest problems may be the fact that students are not thinking about a job in the initial part of the course. Students are not motivated to work with career services until after they graduate.

What are the best techniques you experienced that motivated students greatly?

Bianca,

We agree that students must be thinking about a job starting with admissions. That's why we think admissions and placement should sit together. We also see a lot of success when Alumni are involved from the start. Students feel more comfortable talking with their peers and ideally the grads are working and have a great success story about their challenges and how they overcame them. Instructors have to include employment skills training and information about life on the job in every class. Staff has to talk with students on a daily basis about what they are doing or thinking about in terms of work. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I believe one of the best techniques is the early externship rotation. We usually planned 2 rotations, one after complete the basic skills ( for motivation and application of the basic knowledge), and the other at the end of the program when the students are fully trained (for confirmation and application of their knowledge and abilities).

jorge,

This is a great way to keep students motivated and increase retention. Have you seen an increase in completion and student satisfaction? Have any switched majors? Please see my earlier response. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I am experiencing students that are not motivated to apply for employment outside of a 10-15 minute commute. I have shared with the students the career opportunities that could be available to them if they considered extending the commute to 20-30 minutes, but the motivation is still low. Any tips on how to place these students?

Shelisa,
Very interesting situation that we haven't heard before. Perhaps you could learn a lot by asking the students. Or plan a coffee or lunch and invite students to participate in a 20 minute session and brainstorm the issue. I think you'll learn a lot to share. Perhaps the students don't have reliable transportation, or there is poor public transportation, or they would have to work inconvenient hours and don't want to be too far away, or have kids or responsibilities so would want to be close to home. When we see challenges we look for the people with the answers. Let us know what you discover. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I use many techniques to keep my active students motivated in their future careers. I coordinate fun interactive activities for the classroom. I hold mock interviews, resume building workshops, and discuss the average pay for a new person in the industry to give them a reality check and reduce false expectations which turn into demotivation. I emphasize the importance of attire,building a strong clientele book,state laws and procedures to get licensed and also provide a list of continuing educational resources to increase income & skills necessary for success in the evolving beauty industry .

I ask students to start considering an early employment role in the industry as assistants and encourage participation in as many community events in order to network and promote themselves as future professionals. this will help in building a stronger resume which i will assit in creating near their graduation date.

Guest speakers from industry, busniess owners as well as successful alumni visitors play a huge role in motivating and inspiring the students to keep on their path. We provide one on one interaction with these people and seen many placements result from these meetings.

Creating job fairs and and speaking engagements is vital to the school with admission referals.
another useful tool i use and recommend is to document these special events in a school newlestter. this allows a tangible medium to show new students all the amazing activites they can look forward to experiencing while they are active in the program.

Paola,

You strategies all sound great. It sounds like students are involved in employment and job search skills throughout their entire tenure at your institution. What you are doing is immersing students in the world of work at every opportunity. You are building their confidence, which takes time.You are also seeing the benefits of reaching out to the community. They learn how your school is a resource for training and also qualified new hires. We think that Community Outreach is essential to the success of career schools. Thanks for presenting such a comprehensive approach. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

The best technique is asking them before their job search campaign "what do you want me to say to you should you ever start to lose motivation on your job search?" You will get "triggers". Students may say things such as "Your kids need this", "Your grandmother would be proud". Etc... Appealing to the personal makes such a difference.

Also, truly understanding the types of positions that will keep them "interested" is also key. In our industry, we always talk about "motivation". Motivation is internal, that's why the personal question is important. But "interest" can be affected externally. So a position of interest will spark their attention and keep the graduate "on the hook".

Jennifer,
This is so great. You are reminding your students about their goals just at the time they forget because of so many other pressures. Ideally their comments are noted on the student record. In that way, everyone on staff can remind the student about why they are in school and possibly sacrificing other things in their lives. It is hard to argue against your very one words. Thanks for the great tip. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

For my the best technique it's invite them out to lunch, make games wih an insentive to win a travel, a gift card or something like that because they want to be out of the same routine everyday, this it's important for them to interact with themselves.

Paola,
Motivation is so important for good retention. When you take students to lunch you show you are interested and care. It gives them a chance to give them time to discuss their challenges and create solutions. Seeing that there are jobs available to them is a great motivator. Talking to Alumni also helps students understand the ways to get a job. Arranging for students to talk with each other and share common challenges is a great way to deal with motivation and retention. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities