Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resume programs

I know there are alot of programs for writing resumes these days. Is there a way to offer one exclusively for your school to current students?

HI Elizabeth,
Suggest you review 4 - 5 different resume programs. Determine which are right for your students. Create a template and work from there. Since your students all vary there will likely be variation in the resumes. But you can still provide the model. Best wishes, Susan

Resume writing is very subjective. Some experts say keep it only to one page and other experts say make it essay style. I think that each industry has a standard. We have IT and Medical programs and each quarter our industry advisory board (employers, past students, industry professionals that we've developed relationships with) take a look at our curriculum and compare it to industry trends and changes. We also use this time to ask them for advice on what they look for on resumes. It's incredible the diverse answers we get but we always have agreed on a standard that is acceptable in the industry.

Obviously the best way is to find a model or template that works and use that format.

Good Luck,

Scott King
TechSkills
Sacramento, Ca.

HI Scott, Great points. We also feel there are no rules about resumes except keep them simple and to the point. We like the idea of finding a template that works for each industry. And to have employers and people from the industry constantly give you feedback. One big question we always have is what can the grad with little work experience add to the resume to give a sense of who she or he is. Best wishes, Susan

I had one employer comment on the resumes submitted by our graduates and they said they are all uniform and look alike.

They dont show the students personality or who they are????

I had never had an employer tell me this so then

we just started getting creative and showing

students the different types of formats

and they put their personalities not only on the

skills and abilities added but the format.

Next time I faxed or emailed resumes the employer
said Big Improvement and started calling them for interviews.

After the interviews I called to see how everyone did and he mentioned that each resume matched the person who walked in that door and interviewed.

This was interesting and amazing.

Just a suggestion. Employers like to see the variety.

I would like to comment on this one as well

I do agree that different industries require or have different standards, however It really depends on the HR or employer as well.

Some employers have commented to keep it to one page because reading an essay format gets them lost.

Some employers just want to see the bullet points jump out at them that pertain to the job they are hiring for.

It just depends on the employer and what they are looking for.

Its almost like when we go out shopping we know what we want and in the search when we see it we just grab it. Well thats us ladies. hahahaha

HI MariaElena
You made some excellent observations about resumes. There really are no rules. Just work within the industry, keep it simple, follow some kind of standard format, no need to be super creative, it's jut the facts that are important. And ask people in the industry what they want to see. Good ideas, Susan

Hi MAriaElena
You make some great points. Most important - find out what your employers want to see in a resume. In this case some personality and individualism needed to come through. This can happen with a personal statement or summary of the grad's objectives. It can also be included in a cover letter. Perhaps the employer brought this to your attention because all the resumes might have had similar verbiage. If the students worked together on their resumes they might have shared or used each other's wording. It would be the same in some areas since they were in the same program. Best wishes, Susan

I give them an example of impressive verbiage that will win them an interview but do not let them use that example. They have to be creative and only use that as a guide. We review every resume to prevent duplicates. I will say that it is a daily challenge to keep them from looking like clones. I am open to any subjection on how to create variety.
Gina C.

HI Gina
There have been lots of discussions about how resumes can look different. It is a challenge since students are graduating from the same program and probably have little work experience. You might want to plan several sessions where students think about all the things they do well or unique skills they have. Everyone has them. They may have to dig deep but they are there. Then a summary paragraph can be written showing the special abilities of each student. The process helps give things to talk about during an interview. Best wishes, Susan

Thank you.
That is very helpful and I am going to do that on my next calssroom visit.

When students come to me looking for help with a resume, first I tell them to bring me what they have. If they don't have anything, I tell them the basics that belong on the resume (contact info, work history, education, skills) and I have them draft one up very simple. Then I review it and generally suggest the same format for every resume. That format happens to be the format that I have always written mine in. Is it bad for me to always be imposing my format? They don't usually seem to mind, they always seem happy with it. I always give them the option of formatting it however they want, once I've put it into "my" format. Any comments?

Josh

Hi Josh
We believe that resumes should be very traditional and very to the point and just one page. While others have other opinions, we have no problem if the format of every grad is similar. Of course the resume has to have the distinguishing "marks" of each individual. There are a lot of publications with sample resume formats. You might want to choose one and then make it available on line as a fill in the blank with directions. Best wishes, Susan

Our department has made up a sample resume packet with general rules on the first page. There are 6 pages with different styles of resumes and then a sample cover letter page and thank you note page.

I find employers do not like getting resumes with exactly the same look to all resumes. Entry-level grads seem to do best with the skills based resume and grads who have been in the work field for years do well with a functional style resume.

Well said, Lucille. You have forms for grads to use and adapt. And you are listening to what your employers want. That's the clue. Thanks, Susan

I have heard that resumes shouldbe one page but I have also been told that a two page resume is great also. There are some of my students who have a great employment history and there would be no way one could fit it on one page. Comments?

HI Faith
Good question. No really right answer. Ideally the resume should be one page. Employers want to see credentials quickly and efficiently and don't like a lot of fluff. But if the applicant has rich and relevant information then don't be limited by the one page rule. That's our opinion. And there are dozens of thoughts. Why not ask your employers what they prefer? Thanks for a great question. Susan

We start with the resume the student already has, and enhance it, with certifications, community involvement, leadership skills etc, so each students resume is different.

Great idea Wanda. Sometimes, though, students don't know how to even start a resume. That takes some training. Great point to have them continually update their resumes and think of ways to enhance it through training and experiences. Thanks, Susan

We currently use optimal resume. This program has served well because it shows many different templates and examples. The student or grad can create their own resume and update as needed. Plus, the website has several videos not only for resume but cover letters, interviewing etc.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities