Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting seasoned or maturer students to buy in placement activities.

It has been a challenge to motivate maturer/seasoned students to participate in placement activities because they have the "been there and done that" attidude. It's important for us to have all students participate equally so that no one develops bad habits. Any ideas on how we can get them working with us and with the class.

Hi Kimberly
Interesting situation. Why not use their experience to your advantage. Have them prepare some of the placement workshops integrating your theory and skills into their knowledge base. Or have them talk about what works and what doesn't. Get them on your side and while doing it they will learn up to date methods of job search and good habits.
Good luck, Susan

Maybe try activities in a classroom setting with new and old students. This way the new students can learn from you and the old students. It may also give the older students a chance to share their knowledge and experience

Hi Lindsey
Great idea. Use the resources of all students. Let everyone know they have unique experiences to share. You may be able to build a workshop focused around the success stories and challenges of everyone ever going on a job interview.
Best wishes, Susan

Building on Lindsey's suggestion; we ask students who were interviewed and those hired to share their experience for a few minutes in the class. We ask them to share what went well and things they might do different the next time. They seem to enjoy sharing their experiences.

This is effective because it gives the “experienced” student a chance to share with her peer group and to be recognized for the initiative taken. The students listen intently to what is being shared. We believe it is a good way to recognize accomplishments and motivate others in their job search.

Hi Barbara
Perfectly said. Actually drawing on the experiences of every student can increase the learning experience. Everyone has something to contribute. It takes skill in asking them so they can see the value of their thoughts and opinions. Best wishes, Susan

Ask for their opinions. Sometimes they have good suggestions and ideas that they can share to give advice to the student that is a "newby" to the field.

HI Sara
Yes, lots of great information available when you ask. Suggest that everyone who thinks drawing on the experience of mature students is a great idea write up a resource book. The book can be a great "how to" for younger students looking for jobs. And you have new information to update it continually!
Best wishes
Susan

I agree. Having seasoned or maturer students share their work experiences can be a learning experience for all expecially if mistakes made/learned from examples are given.

Hi Michele,
Now the next step is to use the information in some way such as in a book or blog or workbook. How many ways can you make it accessible to others? It could be a great marketing tool. Best wishes, Susan

R G
R G

I would suggest asking the students in question why they are so reluctant to participate in the activities....and then ask them what they would do differently. What can the placement department do to target those students who feel like they have been through the same game before? How can the department update its services? Students have important feedback to give. We should welcome constructive criticism.

Hi Rayyan
Interesting questions. Asking for opinions directly is always a great way to get some good ideas. Perhaps ask for details such as - "what would you do to design an ideal placement department or ideal employment skills training?" "What is the ideal way to serve grads as they start the employment search?" "What fears have to be overcome?" Good point for placement departments to do more than just conduct interview and resume building workshops. The "training" has to be fun, interactive, and draw on the varied experience of the participants. Also involve employers when possible. And keep asking for acting on feedback. Best wishes, Susan

I have this problem sometimes in the Career Management course that I teach to students in their second to last term. This course teaches students about writing professional resumes, reference sheets, cover letters and thank you letters. Additionally, this course helps students with their job search, teaches them about successful interviewing skills, dressing for the professional world of work and building a portfolio. I have a problem with some of the mature students not paying attention or listening to my advice when it comes to their resumes and interviewing because they think that they know it all. The students also do a mock interview with a local employer who specializes in their field of study and get evaluated on their interview. It is only then, that most of those students listen to the employer after they get a poor grade. What are some suggestions that you could give to help me reach some of these mature students and understand that they do not know everything about the workforce just because they have been working for 20 + years?

Janelle
This is an interesting situation. We have suggested that you get the mature students to assist with the process. Have them give the presentation and/or match them up with the younger students. The only requirement is that they teach to the curriculum. They can add their own ideas and experiences, but must cover the required topics. You'll get help and involved students. Best wishes, Susan

They often do have good ideas that younger students can take, but it also goes both ways.

I am relatively young for this position but I find that the older students realize they don't know everything. Many of them are pursuing a total career change and realize they need help, and this is the place to get it.

HI Deborah
Thanks for pointing out that for every relationship there is a 2-way street. We all have something to learn from each other. In a school environment, where students' ages range, there will be young and old, experienced, and no experience. In the classrooms and elsewhere there are many opportunities to facilitate an exchange. Best wishes, Susan

Yes, that really works well getting the seasoned individuals to participate with their experience
in job searching and class room activities has worked very well.

I also give the seasoned individuals Updated information on the Job Search Market and the reason they need to participate are to help acheive others what they have already.

Also we get individuals who have jobs in the field already and do not want to participate they feel it is a waste of time since they are only there to enhance their skill. I share with them they want to be prepared at all times and use the job search workshop as a back up because we never know but things happen and sometimes people are left with out a job and need to start job searching to obtain employment again.

I share experiences of other graduates that did not participate or the ones that did and used this class to their advantage. Or some may want a secondary part-time job.????

Things happen.

But for some reason the more seasoned individuals really feel valuable in adding their experience to the table.

Hi MariaElena
Sounds like you have a great method for engaging the seasoned grad. Very good ideas. Another focus is on the need to be up to date in the job search process. While there are tried and true methods, employers have developed new prospectives and methods when interviewing and making hiring decisions. It is important for the experienced person to know this. If new technology is involved they need to be current. We tell older students that if they are not 100% current with technology of their kids and trends then they will get another wrinkle or gray hair! Best wishes, Susan

We host our workshops as a part of class time and bring in the students that are at the a certain point in the course. We start off by acknowledging that we do have some career changers and that some of the workshop will be review for them and to be patient. We do also emphasize that we have tailored this workshop for this specific industry and job role they are preparing to enter with tips,tricks, advice recieved recently from employers. We encourage them to participate in the group discussions how they have handled the situation in thier past experiences

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities