Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have resume Samples and templates what else do you suggest

I have resume writing software for students and templates of cover letters. Should I have anything else as a resource?

James

HI James
Sounds like a good start. A comprehensive placement dept starts with offerings that focus on employability skills. This includes work ethic, showing up on time, etc. Then there are all sorts of lessons and practice sessions re interviewing, follow up, phoning, filling out applications, job retention, and more. Suggest you check a few publishers and review all the titles of texts and workbooks available.
It takes a lot to offer comprehensive placement services.
Best wishes
Susan

Thanks Susan

I like the role playing idea and interviewing lessons. I will looking into the publishers

Hi James
Yes, it's amazing how many publishers offer very user friendly job search materials. You might want to try several and then survey students to see which they think are the most helpful.
Best wishes
Susan

I teach a career management class. We review resume writing, cover letters, thank you letters (for after an interview), putting together a portfolio, and interviewing skills. We spend a lot of time on interviewing. There are some videos I use on successful interviews and how to answer questions. And, then when they are ready, they go on a mock interview. This is worht 30% of their grade. I find a professional in their field from the community and they conduct a mock interview with them. It really helps the student work out some of the bugs before it is "for real" and it really is good practice.

HI Lani
Really a great forumla for getting students ready for their first interview. There needs to be a lot of practice. There needs to be time to practice being nervous. It is often fear and not skills that keep students from even going on their first interview. Great ideas. Thanks, Susan

I also use resume samples and templates which I fing very helpful. I use some of the best resumes my students and I have creative and remove name of the student for other student to see pertinent resumes from follow student in the same field of study.

HI Ruth
Most publishers offer media and learning materials for all areas of employment skills training. Also suggest www.jist.com and www.channing-bete.com. We get their marketing brochures and like what we read. Just reviewing their catalogs will give you some great ideas. Best wishes, Susan

I really like the "Knock 'Em Dead" series by Martin Yate. Lots of examples, resources, ideas, etc. The 2007 versions include important updates including clothing, industry, Internet job searching, etc.

Thanks for the info Deborah. There are a lot of great resources for career services. It's a matter of finding that ones that work for you and your students. Best wishes. Susan

Here are a few very simple job hunting suggestions. The first is a list of action verbs (IE: Achieved, summarized, supervised, etc.) to help the student/graduate with wording their resume. The seconcd is a professional development packet that is tailored to the kinds of obstacles graduates encounter in your area and/or their career of choice. The last is a three week plan developed to give the graduate a daily task that will get them involved in the job hunting task. It is very simple and teaches them to fish rather than just giving them a fish.

Hi Theresa
Thanks for the great info. Great words. How does the grad with little or no experience deal with demonstrating what they have accomplished? It's a challenge. The professional development packet sounds great. Can other students request a copy from you as well as the three week plan. The concepts are great - really well thought out. Thanks, Susan

Yes, the professional development packet and three week plan are available to anyone at any time during their training. However, We usually dont offer it until their last month to keep them from getting overwhelmed with everything. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Thanks. Good point about taking care not to overwhelm the new student. It's a fine line knowing when to introduce employment skills training. We think a little bit right from the beginning to keep reminding students why they are in school. Best wishes, Susan

Yes, I completely agree with regard to starting early. Professional development is part of the students curriculum from week 1 and is primarily taught and graded by the instructor. They often include the placement department in such topics as professional dress, resume writing, interviewing, etc. We get very involved about 6 weeks before they go out into thier externships and until they get a job. But since we offer lifetime placement assistance, we never consider our job done.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities