Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have started to have the students begin to think about where they want to work by initiating different contests. An example is that we asked students to check job advertisements and pull out three jobs that they would like to do once they graduate as they turned in the jobs they were given a ticket and we held a raffle and presented a prize to a student.

Hi Laurie
Having a contest always makes things exciting and puts some motivation into the activity. Another contest might be for students to interview people on the job and ask them what they like and don't like about the work. Then have the students report the information in class in order to get a raffle prize.
Great ideas.
Susan

Suzanne,

The idea about taking pictures of their projects is unique. I never thought about adding those to their portfolio. Thanks.
Wanda

We have incorporated resume writing in every program that is offered and we also review it in an exit seminar that is mandatory for every student leaving the building. This gives them many different opportunities to put together the perfect resume.

Hi Marlene
Another great idea. There is a lot of work in writing a great resume. Takes having the students understand their capabilities and skills and then using the information as talking points during an interview. Do you include interview role playing as part of the exit seminar?
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Susan,

Currently each of our programs has a class designed for business practices which includes a lot of exercises outlined in this module. They each focus on resume writing and development for their specific programs. Also, most of our graduates have the cabilities of starting their own business so we have additional required courses in business management where they have to create a business plan and present it to the class.

The one thing I need to work on is getting our Placement Department more involved in the classes.

HI Krista
Sounds like maybe your Placement Department needs to learn about the programs you offer for students to start their own business. Then the Placement Department might be able to offer workshops to supplement what is already taught. "Starting Your Own Business" classes are very popular. You would invite the community as well. While in the course new people can learn about all the offerings at your school. Another example of how the Placement Department can increase enrollment.
Best wishes
Susan

We also have a career development course where the students develop a professional portfolio and receive feedback through mock interviews. We invite employers to assist with student interviews as well as instructors, but I always make sure to take part in the interviews to see if there are any areas where the student needs improvement to have a reference in case there are employment issues in the future.
Thanks,
Deloris

HI Deloris
Sounds great. Suggest you put in various survey and assessments to measure how well you are doing and where areas of improvement and opportunity are.
Best wishes
Susan

I found many of the ideas presented by fellow learners a wonderful list of possibilities.

One idea that presents immediately is to come up with incentives to support the students' own motivations. For example, I needed to get my own employment act together so that I could start paying off my student loans! Perhaps coming up pragmatic, creative and personal/professional development tracks can provide some impetus.

Getting various community and school participants would also be helpful. Perhaps getting a SCORE volunteer, an SBA rep, local employment office reps, etc. to come in would help, too.

I am picturing a round-robin type of mock interview with various employers in our industry. For example, each registered participant would spend 10 minutes with a potential employer before the gong sounds to move them to the next station/employer. This would give experience with a variety of interview styles and types of employers. This could benefit the employers, too, as they could come away with a list of potential new-hires once the students graduate.

Kate

HI Kate
We really like the idea that you are making the job interview process so much fun. We like the multiple interviews and the time limits. In addition to giving a variety of experiences it forces the student to think concisely. Do you have any instant feedback comments so students can hear from employers what works and what doesn't. What other "games" can be added to all employment skills training? Best wishes, Susan

Our students are initially encouraged during the orientation session. A packet of information containing the projects expected to be completed (and a time table for each) are handed out and reviewed.
We utilize the program instructors to assist in identifying those skills important and necessary to the field.
When mock interviews are performed, the front office staff (financial aid, admissions, director, etc.) become involved in the process.
Those persons from the community include employment agencies, hair stylists, fashion professionals, etc.

Hi Ron
Orientation is a great time to introduce lots of information about what going to school will be like. But it's an exciting day and most things are quickly forgotten. So it is always a good idea to repeat the information throughout the program. Mock interviews are important. We suggest inviting real employers to handle the interviews and then critique them and tell what they are looking for during an interview. Best wishes, Susan

We have a Career Readiness Class that supports the Placement Department. In this class, mock interviews are performed as well as draft resumes being created. So my suggestion is to add a class like this to any curriculum. The importance of training professionalism in my opinion should not be overlooked and this is the perfect environment to go over the do's and don'ts of resumes and interviewing.

Hi Andrew, Great idea to have a career readiness class. There is so much required to get ready for the job search. We also suggest that some kind of job readiness and career preparation go on in every class. Thanks, Susan

We offer a Career Development course in the 1st term for all new students. The class consists of test taking skills, study skills, understanding what type of learning style they have, resume writing, interviewing skills, dressing for success and other information needed to assist them in their education and future career. The Career Services Department attends the class to discuss the portfolio they build about themselves while they are here and also to prepare them for their careers. We also offer a Career Management class which is normally taken the term before they graduate. This course reviews the entire career prepartation, resume and interview process again. We also offer externships for all of the programs to be sure the students can apply "hands-on" skills to their resumes. We are also going to begin asking area employers to come and speak at new student orientation to discuss what is expected as an employer.

HI Kerrie
Sounds like you are model school - doing everything right in your career services offerings. Now you might want to measure each strategy to analyze results. Also might want to ask yourself if career development is laced throughout every activity the student experiences. Great. Susan

I always give them a hand-out showing the most used format resume today. I always encourage them to build their resume the same. I also, ask them to put all of their EXTRA Accomplishments as well. Typing, machines that they have used, fax, copy.

One thing I do not encourage in which I'd like to ask you is what you think about an entry in, "hobbies", Do you recommend that? I don't think that looks good for someone to write: cooking, painting, family.

What do you suggest?

More about hobbies. We suggest that hobbies and interests that demonstrate skills and knowledge are a good thing to include in a resume. Relaxing, hanging around, mowing the lawn are probably not good things. But Big Brother Volunteer, or Creative Landscaping could be good and the applicant can talk about the skills needed and it is a way for the employer to learn more about the person. Thanks, Susan

Our school offers a career entry class for our students usually around their last 6 weeks of school and I agree this is a class that seems to alot of students is a waste of time. I help out in the mock interviews and it really shows when they come into my office with no cover letter, 5 pages of information in paragraph form thinking this is a great resume or come for a mock interview with no resume at all. As the only career services person here at our school, I could use some help on how I can make these students understand taking this class seriously and taking pride in your resume could be your bread and butter. Any suggestions?

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities