Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

in-house career fair

I plan on having an in-house career fair at our school to host interviews for upcoming grads, graduates and alumni. Do you have any ideas or thoughts that can maximize success for all involved?

I suggest holding a few Resume/Interview workshops prior to the Career Fair to prepare students and graduates. I also suggest having a dress code in for all college attendees to be sure they impress employers and are called for an interview. Visit and call emplouyers in your area ahead of sending invitations and registration information to monitor the type of turnout you will have.

Good Luck! I wish you a successful Career Fair!

Hi Kerrie
You are totally right. The more you can prepare your students for a successful interview experience the better. We feel that career services skills training should be part of the course training throughout the students experience at school. By the time they are nearing graduate they have a lot of employment skills. And confidence. Best wishes, Susan

Hi Lawrence - Career Fairs are a great idea and should be planned for several times a year. The first one will definitely be the toughest. The key to success is to create an operations manual and document everything that's done. In that way you can keep improving the event and other people can run them almost automatically and seamlessly. Suggest you start with a committee of people who represent your school, have great ideas, and are willing to work on it. Plan a highly active and interactive program. Keep involvement high. Have admissions reps around for visitors who want to know more about your school. Send press releases to newspapers, employers, alumni, and throughout the community. Print flyers and information pamphlets. Get the word out and great a unique look so people will look forward to being invited. Good luck, Susan

I want to know how I can gain one of those as well, I;ve never done it, but I don't want retail either. You think I can get big companies to come out.?

The best way to approach the Career Fair whether in-house or provided by an outside source such as Jobbing.com is to prepare the students in a process on how to "work" the Career Fair. Most Career Fairs are terrible places to find a job. However they are ideal for Networking toward the ideal job. I created a workshop on how to work a Career Fair and in it I explain how a person can develop a marketing strategy before going to the Fair, how to prepare to behave at the Fair including how to improve the 30 Second Introduction and create a lasting impression and finally how to develop networking contacts for improved job search. If one looks at the Fair as a place to develop contacts, leads and improve their interviewing performance they will get most of what the Career Fair can offer. If they only look at the jobs listed they will be disappointed.

This sounds great, James. A workshop on how to be successful at a Career Fair. Wonderful. We agree that Job Fairs have a lot of pitfalls. So when a student can successfully navigate a few they are ready for any job search activity!! thanks, Susan

Good question about Career Fairs. We suggest you start very small and build up to it. You might start with a career fair where just your staff and students participate. Set up tables where students walk around and learn different aspects of the job search. Have one table focus on self esteem, another on building a portfolio, another on resume building and another on job interviews. You might video the interviews and have another table for feedback. Then gradually invite employers to participate and hold discussion groups and mock interviews. Doing this you can work out the kinks and problems and create an operations manual about how to run effective career events. Little by little involve more employers until you eventually have a full fledged career fair. And very fewproblems. Good luck, Susan

I would also like to host a Career Fair and the suggestions I found on this thread is fantastic. Thank you.
I am wondering if it would be a great idea to have an "Mock Interview Day", invite a Fashion Consultant (that fits the industry0 and also a Cosmetic Day???

Hi Cristelyn, Career Fairs are great. What makes them a success is detailed careful planning and the involvement of as many people as possible. And of course your students do have to be prepared. That means lots of interview practice, resume writing, and other employment readiness tasks to ensure success. And with all events and strategies - measure, measure, measure. Best wishes, Susan

Lawrence

Whith Halloween coming, I have planned a Harrowing Experience Goodies for the day and night time students.
Each goodie bag will hold a sample resume and cover letter. I will provide coffee/cide/cookies and donuts.

This is my plan prior to bring in prospective employers for a career fair! jav

Hi John and Lawrence - You've hit on something that is really important in learning. That's making it fun and memorable. And it's creative and fun for the staff to run these events. And gives you great publicity opportunities and creates a brand for your school that it's an enjoyable experience to be part of campus life there. Great for referral and word of mouth marketing too. Great ideas. Susan

WE RECENTLY HAD AN IN HOUSE JOB FAIR AT OUR BEAUTY SCHOOL IT WAS A GREAT SUCCESS

HI Wilma
Can you share with us why your In house Job Fair was such a success? Tell us how you advertised it? Who was invited? What the program was? Who the speakers were and what kind of activities you had? And how did you measure succsss? Can you easily duplicate the job fair? Thanks, Susan

An inside job fair is a great idea! I think a fair with stations representing each of the elements of a job search (e.g., resume, dress, negotiations)is a good way to reach students and help me think about the process flow. It might be fun to have a small prize or token for students who visit all of the stations (much like they do at aviation trade shows) to ensure they get the full benefit of the fair. The students may see the fair as corny, but it beats a dry lecture and, when employers are added to the mix, may be a valuable tool.

Hi Lois, We've seen interactive open houses, job fairs, and the like set up just like this. It sets a carnival fun atmosphere and everyone gets into the spirit of checking out what they will find at each table. Lots of creative possibilities by offering experiences, information, etc at each table. When employers are present it puts everyone on the same playing field and shows students that employers are human and approachable. Thanks, Susan

In the past we have also had an in house job fairs at our campus. We invited several employers to participate at our college job fair and the outcome was a great success.

In house job fairs are great, Lucy. They can be one of 10 or so events and activities so students develop employment skills and learn how to interview and discover what companies can benefit from their training. When you invite employers to participate do you follow them on a regular basis? It is all about developing and sustaining employer and community relationships that will help ensure you have job openings. That takes phoning, emailing, visiting, and more. Thanks, Susan

I would suggest making sure you have many more employers scheduled than you would want to count on as confirmed. That way when there are cancellations you will still have a good sized fair. Without a contract there is no guarantee they will be there.

Hi Tonya Getting employers or even participants to attend any function is always a challenge. We suggest lots of follow up and a phone call the day before the event. Getting employer cooperation takes time to develop and maintain the relationship. With a committment and a relationship the employer is more likely to show up. Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities