Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Building student confidence

Our entire school system has taken on the task of building student self-confidence and self-worth through a series of workshops. In addition to the direct benefit, there is the added benefit of the inclusion of otherwise missed skills and accomplishments in student resumes. Workshop attendees don't need the level of "extraction" by CS staff to find marketable skills and accomplishments. We find this a definite plus.

Sounds like a great school, Bruce. Can you share with us the methods you use to build student self-confidence? What happens in your workshops? How does the faculty and staff promote this in their classrooms and day-to-day interaction? Thanks for sharing with us, Susan

Thank you. I do believe we have a great school system and many highly dedicated staff members and instructors. Although I would love to share all, I don't want to cross any proprietary information lines. having said that, there are several principles we try to deal with from orientation through "day 1" and beyond. Students drop out in much higher percentages very early. Fear of success and/or failure, family history, poor fundamental academic training, never before finishing any project, lack of support from family and peers and the whole Gen Y thing make it imperative that we engage them from the start and "reprogram" them to believe in themselves. I believe most schools, as we, give them some kind of strategies for success course in their first term. I visit that class three times to help build their self-confidence and self-worth, recall major accomplishments and create a bridge to my department.

The methods used were designed to be fun, fast and often "furious". When successful the students better know each other and themselves. Each session lasts no more than an hour, and the 4th - 10th are optional on a monthly basis after that, culminating in hard skills and interviewing skills.

All management, faculty and staff signed a statement committing 100% to the system. That was easy, because it is completely in each student's best interest.

That's about all I can say, but I think every school can benefit from the concept and design their own "winning system" tailored to their own students needs, committed to by all.

HI Bruce, Thanks for sharing what you did. The key is early and consistent intervention and you are doing that plus have the buy in from what sounds like a highly trained staff. We wonder the results if you required students to complete all 10 sessions. Best wishes, Susan

We start with an orientation where we introduce the office and services. We tell them that we are their connection to the working world. From there we do workshops in required classes. We tell students we are here to partner with them and help them along the way.

Hi Millie, Really great approach. We also believe that placement and career services has to go hand-in-hand with classroom study. Students need to know you are there for them and that they need to start placement training early on in their studies. So being present wherever possible is great. Susan

Building student confidence is a must in my education system. Career Services is involved in many classes and in orientation where we have the opportunity to discuss career goals, professionalism, resume writing, mock interviews, etc. As we become more involved in the classes, we see the students grow both professionally and with more confidence. Your school system sounds like it is on the right path to student success.

HI Sheryl, You summed it up - it's all about building student confidence and it happens in such subtle ways. The more a student knows, the more the student has practiced interviews and rejection, etc. the more confidence. It's all about strategies where the student can learn more about him/herself and improve where possible and accept or acknowledge where progress is a challenge. Great, Susan

This is a very important aspect of proprietary schools. I've taught Career Readiness classes where the students admit they don't like school and don't know why they stay. What I do in these classes is get the other students involved and create an atmosphere where the doubtful students get support from the more confident students who in turn create more self confidence by reinforcing their own beliefs. The question I try to get the students to answer and remember is "Why are you here?" Those that have a long range dream need to have it reinforced or they lose sight of it.

This is a good point, James. Getting the doubting students to relate to the successful students does help to keep students in school. Perhaps there also has to be a more rigorous admissions process. During this time applicants have to really understand what the career is about as well as what the course requirements are to complete. Massage students, for example, are often surprised and disappointed they have to take anatomy and physiology. Admissions should have made it clear so there are no surprises or disappointments. Certainly a challenge. Susan

Agree.Building the student confidence is a must and a plus, from the 1st time of classes at the orientation to the end of the race assisting them to search for job placement. It is a daily work in connection with the instructors. They are the ones interacting every moment with the students and know them better. As everywhere there are two groups of people; the more thoughtful and the more confident. We are to be team players and the minimum sign of lack of confidence should be notified, evaluated and controlled to avoid the spread and support the students to achieve their goal, which is at the same time our goal. We cannot be successful if we don’t have successful students.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities