Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Realistic start up budget

My school is a small non-profit. We do not currently have placement services as we are a commuter school for working adults over 21 years who are all(90%) already employed. In starting a placement service with limited funds, can you give me an approximation as to how much I should pursue with management to begin? Or is there material I could read to give me different scenarios?

Hi Deborah
Sounds like an interesting situation. What kinds of programs do you offer? Are students attending your school for a career change or do they want to gain skills to enhance their current positions? If you promise the ability to seek employment upon completion then you do need to offer placement services. To begin the major cost is staff and setting up. There are many free materials on the Internet. There are publishers that you can buy materials from. There is information on job boards. So really - the cost is in staff and set up. Then you can add as you have the budget. This course will give you more information to set up with a strong foundation. So - read on. Best wishes, Susan

Deborah

It is possible to start a Placement Department on a low budget. The only thing that is in the budget for my department at this time is my salary. I use free services and LOTS of internet searching. Be prepared to help them w/ their résumés, interviewing skills and start making contacts w/ local employers that could use your students skills. I search the sites of Staffing agencies to see who is working w/ a Staffing agency and contact the business on my own. Hope that helps you start...
Gina

I am also starting on a low budget with limited staff. We are only making our service available to students who have reached certain points within their program. I am also using a lot of free resources online. Currently my only budget constraints is staffing salary. I transfered some of my staff members to this new department to help maintain operational cost.

HI Candice, Yes. A challenge to fund a placement department. But when you consider how essential it is and the potential revenue then you will see it is a priority. You'll have great placement stats, get known as "the" source for great grads, and increase enrollment. How many new students will it take to fund placement services? Probably not a lot. Limiting students use of the service will limit placement results. Best wishes, Susan

Gina and Deborah, These are all great ideas. The key is to get out into the community and see what resources are available. Employers can be a great help and need to see that it is an opportunity for them to provide you with workshops, mentoring, career information, etc. Good luck, Susan

Our school just opened our placement department in March 2008. I have been the only one responsible for it and I love it. Although lately the graduates are rolling out and I am becoming quite overwhelmed.

"We are only making our service available to students who have reached certain points within their program." I have thought about this but I have had students call me after they have been in school for only 2-3 months requesting my assistance. I would hate to tell them "sorry I can't help you! Call me in 6 months!" How would you handle that?

HI Faith, Interesting and good situation. A few things you can do. Let your supervisor know this is a job that takes at least a full or part time additional assistant. Also start a detailed operations manual for the department. It will show the scope of what you do and be great for when you add someone. They will be able to follow it and jump right in. Also include statistics showing the affect of your efforts on student retention, success, and satisfaction. Show the results of keeping in touch with alumni and show how a great career services department impacts on admissions. You'll get more help. Best wishes, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities