Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Realistic Caseload

Hi Everyone,

This is one of those topics we just can't get everyone to agree on; what is a realistic caseload for a placement coordinator to carry in order to meet the placement goal/student expectations, cover all administrative duties (paperwork, documentation, etc) and still have plenty of time for community involvement?

I would love feedback from anyone, but mainly from ACCET accredited schools that carry externship programs what the annual active and/or grad caseload is that each coordinator is required to carry.

Hi Bonnie
This is a great question. Can't wait to see the responses not only from ACCET schools but all schools and colleges that are serious about their placement departments. There are so many "it depends" issues. These include the total spectrum of services offered by the school, whether using the services is optional or required, how long the employment skills and job search training is for the grad to be able to go on the first interview, how many people staff the department, and much more. Very good question that should garner a lot of information. Thansk, Susan

Hi Bonnie-
This is a difficult question. I work for an accredited school and am assigned to a single facility with a large population. I am solely responsible for this facility and any returning grads "in the area". Our Admissions and Outsource Departments do a great deal.
I wished I had a proper answer for you. However, as Susan indicatd, there are a lot of "it depends!" For peace of mind, I try to keep in mind the mentality which comes from our President. Essentially, they maintain: "If it's not in my window..." Good Luck, Michele

Hi Michele
This is where creativity comes in. If you are overloaded -- what available resources are there that you have have overlooked? Many times we overlook who and where they might be. Your best and brightest students might be able to help. Or really dedicated faculty could assist in some way. There's always a way and it's a matter of how you are going to use your energies and which battles to pick. Good luck, Susan

We are currently working on our own accreditation but in the process I have been talking with placement directors to see what they do in order to answer that same question. I am finding that most schools require anywhere from 3 to 5 placements per week from each placement coordinator on the team. The various schools I have talked with are all accredited by different agencies but they all seem to have the same benchmark. It's working for us.

However it will also depend on the dificulty of job placement in each of the education areas you have. Some of my programs are placing the 3 a week on average and others can do the 5 average per week.

I am a placement advisor that placed 750 students last year on externships as well as first time job placement and alumni assistance.I also conducted over twenty workshops, two open houses, and many mock interview classes.I can tell you that we do a very good job at our school but clearly it can be overwhelming.I feel that an acceptable set up for a Placement Department that deals with this case load would be:A) One Director of Placement;B) Three Placement Counselors; and C) One Administrative Assistant.

Amazing, Stephen. You really do accomplish a lot. It is a challenge to offer all the career services you do. It can be accomplished if everything is clearly written in a policies and procedures manual and all forms and processes are set up. Then with assistance from others it is do-able. But we like your organization chart. Problem is, it is hard for most schools to fund it. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities