Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also conduct Exit Interviews with the graduates at our school. It really helps me familiarize myself with the student's career goals and expectations. I really find that it helps me remember the graduate better for when I determine job placement. Do you have any suggestions as to any information to put in their files for better reference when deciding where to place them? Thanks, Christine

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try to utilize some of your ideas because I have the same issues also in being part of a limited staff. I really try to help graduates with their resumes often, as well.

HI Christine, Great that you conduct Exit Interviews. We feel that you should be in contact with students throughout their school experience and not just at the end. Getting to know them and their needs is important along the way. If you do this then you will have a lot of information in their files. The info in each student's files will vary. But you could create a checklist to be sure you have information that relates to your school such as intern or externship experience, grades, completion of certain employment training skills, copies of resumes, references, and more. With a checklist you can get some clerical assistance to help complete the files. Best wishes, Susan

Hi, We feel that a placement department doesn't have to be limited just because of limited space or staff. It takes time to set up systems and procedures. And to gather the best resources. But once done, and an operations manual is put in place, you can service a lot of students. And clerical type assistance can be effective if you have a great manual listing all the policies, procedures, and forms that are easy to follow by anyone. Always a challenge, Susan

Our school actually has a required "Business Marketing" course where students learn how to write cover letters, thank you letters, resumes, and in the end have mock interviews for a fictitious position.

So basicly in our case I would say that between this course and the internships offered, placement is actually part of the program itself.

Great Maureen, Exactly our belief - placement has to be part of the training program. Business Marketing is an interesting name for the course. Does it focus on job skills and the job search process or marketing in general? If grads tend to work on their own, this is a good course to help them set up and develop their business. In any case, sounds like you are integrating career building skills throughout the program. Great. Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities