Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What should be in a library?

I have computers right now and links to diffrent job boards ad resume examples as well. But should I have books or other things?

James

Definitely James. In a placement resource library you need a lot of books, workbooks, worksheets, videos, and more on topics from employment skills to how to retain a job. You'll get a lot of great ideas from publishers catalogs such as Elsevier, Delmar, JIST, etc.
Best wishes
Susan

We have a current library/computer lab for our students, graduates and alumni. Included is the Employment Assistance Book for those who want to view the openings by hand, Internet access to the Career Website where students/graduates are able to view openings online and apply if applicable, professional journals for current articles on the industry and industry meetings they are able to attend. We also have a small assortment of books covering the topics of resume preparation, cover letters, and interview skills. Students and alumni are also able to use the computers to help them prepare resumes, create cover letters and search out other employment opportunities.

Hi Annmarie
Sounds like you have a great start to a library and good combination of materials plus internet accessed information. The goal is to have sufficient variety and supply. And information on various levels and specific to the industries you teach to.
Best wishes, Susan

Dr. Schulz:
Thank you for your response regarding the job bank on the school website. I have already set the wheels in motion and I think it's going to work wonders.
I have another question. I would like to know if you can recommend some new and valuable "resume writing/ cover letter" collections that come in the form of books, for our library here at Sanz.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Irina Alexandru
Placement Director
Sanz School

Hi Irina
Great that you are getting things started at your school. Please let us know about your successes. Sugget you try www.jist.com for a good source of employment skills training materials.
Best wishes, Susan

Since we are a fashion college, our library is a bit different as far as resources go.

We have a current section of fashion magazines, trade papers, trend reports and career oriented job searching books.

The students tend to use the internet most of the time, but we find that in order to use some of these resources online - there is a limited amount of access. Our college provides the hard copies for the maximum amount of information available.

Hi Karen, Interesting situation. Sounds like you have just the kind of media your students want - fashion magazines, and more. Like many schools you also rely on internet resources. In our opinion this means that you need to provide a list of urls for the students to research. Also there has to be sufficient internet accessible computers for students to get into the internet. If you have online libraries students need to be able to access them from anywhere. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities